Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #1

Having Problems w/ my K1000!! Please Help!!

I just bought this camera today and not sure if its working properly or not.. When i put the film in and turn wind lever, everything locks and seems to grab the film correctly BUT as i keep doing it my COUNTER DIAL still remains in the very 1st dot which is two dots before 0! When i keep winding the lever the rewind knob also moves along so im pretty sure its working right but the COUNTER DIAL STILL REMAINS BELOW ZERO!! My batteries might now work either since the Exposure settings dont light up or the needle dont move... But you can still use the camera and take pictures without batteries right? Or is it neccesary?

03-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the K1000, you don't need batteries, but your light meter won't work without them.

Sounds like you might be inserting your film incorrectly. The first two windings should move the counter up to 0. If they don't, then chances are the film isn't being advanced properly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the rewinding knob moves as you wind the film, but the counter doesn't, there's a chance the exposure counter is broken. These things happen.
03-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

You can download the Pentax K1000 at Pentax K 1000 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals
if you use the sunny 16 rule, you don't need the light meter, but batteries are cheap and should be available where you are.

When you insert the film, keep the back open and wind it till you see the sprocket engaging the film correctly, then wind it one more time to make sure the sprockets engaged properly, the film tightens, and are not slipping. Close the back cover and wind it one more time, putting your ear to the back, you should hear if it is winding correctly.

Last edited by altopiet; 03-02-2012 at 01:39 AM.
03-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Geezus Quote
When i put the film in and turn wind lever, everything locks and seems to grab the film correctly BUT as i keep doing it my COUNTER DIAL still remains in the very 1st dot which is two dots before 0!
My Minolta X700 has been doing that for absolute ages. As long as the rewind lever moves when you forward the film, everything should be OK. Just a bit difficult to keep track of the number of exposures.
03-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Double check the metal tabs if missing or bent. You have one that is on the film door and the other is where it pokes in to activate the counter. They are located just under the winder and counter area. Inside is the mechanism that allows a claw or pawl to allow the counter increment. If all looks fine and the camera was serviced by someone recent and was not careful in setting the little arms in the correct place, leaving the counter disconnected.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 03-02-2012 at 06:38 AM.