Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Will filter and lens hood vignette on 18-55mm?

I just bought my first DSLR ...a K-r with the kit 18-55mm kit zoom. I also picked up a couple of older lenses, and am wanting to buy UV filters for lens protection. Research on a decent UV filter led me to the Marumi DHG UVL390MC. I have emailed the dealer to find out if this filter has threads on the outer side for a lens hood or polarizing filter. Can someone please tell me if you can stack either a lens hood or a PLD filter on top of a UV filter on an 18mm lens without getting vignetting from creating too long a tube on the outside of this lens? Would I need to buy a low profile UV filter without threads for the 18mm lens? Thanks for the help.

03-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Today most lenses use a sperate bayonet for the hood inclusing the 18-55 so no worries there.
As for the older lenses with a screw-in hood that really depends on the lens so nobody can comment on that wihtout knowing the preciese lens.
03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Depending on the length of the lens hood it may or may not cause problems. I know from my own experience at the wide range of 18mm once you stack on more then three filters vignetting occurs (was playing with closeup adapters). So if it is a bayonet type of hood you should be pretty safe. but if you are doing a screw in one see if you can screw in the filter after the hood otherwise you may run into some problems.
03-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

May not be a good idea to add two filters to a lens most of the time.
Jake