Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

No power?

I was changing batteries today and K-x will not power up. Was not dropped and was only a few hours since last photo. Anyone seen this issue before Batterries are charged and in correctly. No power through A/C as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

03-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the card door open?
03-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Tried the card door. Still not powering up. Does not look like an easy fix so I'll need to find local camera repair. Just over one year old...
03-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Took out rechargeables and put in regular AA and started right up...this is weird!

03-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a dumb question, you may have thought about this before: have you cleaned the contacts of the batteries?

With my K200D, about one out of ten times I change batteries, the body stays dead. Getting them out, cleaning the contacts, and putting them in again cures the problem. The batteries work in a serial circuit, so if the oxidation layer of just one of the eight battery contacts provides too much electrical resistance, the body does not accept the batteries.

This extremely thin oxidation layer always exists, but usually gets damaged well enough by the slight scratching effect when you put the batteries in.

EDIT: Just read your last post when I wanted to send this. In this forum there are multiple threads about possible problems with rechargeables und chargers, and how to deal with such problems.

Last edited by RKKS08; 03-04-2012 at 03:51 PM.
03-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Double check that you had all of the batteries in correctly. One of them upside down causes that. I know from experience.
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jwp1964 Quote
Took out rechargeables and put in regular AA and started right up...this is weird!
Could be: One of the rechargeable batteries is bad. Died during the recharge, or charger has a bad connection or it died?????

03-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
Must have been one of the rechargeable batteries. Rearranged my two sets of batteries and now it works again with rechargeables. Never could get the firmware update to take on my K-x. I'll try again and hope it fixes the issue. Thanks all for your help!