Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

I want a new prime!

I want something in the normal range the most (a 35mm equivilant to 50mm on a full frame) but since I have limited funds (Damn being a poor student, it's not fun when you just want to enjoy a wondrous LBA instead) a nice semi-wide lens around the ~20 area might be good but i'd rather a normal rage (I don't mind going up past 35 to around 45 at most since I have a good MF 50/55/58 prime) I really want something that's fast but again funds may cause me to choose otherwise.
I have around $360 USB but I can go up a bit more. If nothing can be found I will just wait it out and sell some goods then buy what I really wanted to buy which is a FA 31... It's so expensive though haha.
And it's just going to be a treat for my birthday, hence why I wanted to buy now.
Any tips/pointers would be excellent, I'm not set in stone in what I want so if anyone thinks they know a great zoom or something that I would enjoy, please don't hesitate.
Oh and I really want a lens with pretty decent AF, I want to get into street a bit and I feel this is important, i'm sure it will be fine though as long as it isn't seriously slow.

Thanks,
Damon.

03-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh and things I was looking at was the FA35 f2, DA40 f2.8 ltd and FA43 f1.9 (It's a little pricey now but if I could get a good price that wasn't too far away from my range I would really consider it)

Thanks.
03-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For $360 you could score a used DA 21mm (or a new 40mm, but it's much longer), though I would suggest looking at manual lenses. There are lots of lenses in the 20-35mm range that are quite good (and cheap).

Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Consider the SIGMA 30mm f/1.4 EX
Its very sharp and fast and has super smooth bokeh. You should be able to buy one with your budget.

03-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For $360 you could score a used DA 21mm (or a new 40mm, but it's much longer), though I would suggest looking at manual lenses. There are lots of lenses in the 20-35mm range that are quite good (and cheap).
The DA 21 seems like a nice looking lens, I'll browse the database and see what people say about it (since I hadn't really even considered it until now) Thanks Adam.
I do really want a AF lens, I have quite a few MF lenses and I really do love the quality for the price but I'm really lacking on a AF and I really do want one this time, I also live in New Zealand also so I usually always browse our local version of Ebay (Trademe) and I constantly find bargains on old MF lenses (I can even usually eve get them for about $8) it's great.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Consider the SIGMA 30mm f/1.4 EX
Its very sharp and fast and has super smooth bokeh. You should be able to buy one with your budget.
I really didn't even consider this, it seems quite a bit of alright for the price and it seems almost exactly what I was looking for. Thanks TOUGEFC.
03-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

DA35/2.4 is hard to beat for price and performance.
In fact, I'd say, just go get it.

The new DA40XS is pretty nice too, but personally, I think the 35mm is more versatile as its a bit wider.
I just tried it out on Sat.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/177725-walkabo...al-da40xs.html
03-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I can really recommend the F 28 mm 1:2.8. It's a sharp little lens and 28 mm works really great for me on APS-C. For me, 35 mm is too long in most situation but that's a matter of taste.
You don't see this lens for sale too often, but with some luck you might be able to get one for a reasonable price (got mine a couple of months ago for less than 200 Euro).
03-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damon Quote
I really wanted to buy which is a FA 31... It's so expensive though
Perhaps you can find a K 28mm f/2 - which is widely held to be every bit as good as the FA31, but it is quite rare.

The FA31 is expensive, yes...but totally worth it.:

03-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Save for the 31. Otherwise you'll end up like 70 percent of us who have purchased 10 lenses beating around the bush and still don't have what we want....the 31, but spent twice as much in the meantime.
03-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Save for the 31. Otherwise you'll end up like 70 percent of us who have purchased 10 lenses beating around the bush and still don't have what we want....the 31, but spent twice as much in the meantime.
I'm really scared this will happen and I definitely feel like it could. It's such a damn pity it's so expensive though...

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidw0815 Quote
I can really recommend the F 28 mm 1:2.8. It's a sharp little lens and 28 mm works really great for me on APS-C. For me, 35 mm is too long in most situation but that's a matter of taste.
I'm not so sure, I have a manual 28mm 2.8 and I don't really know if I like the focal length or not, I might have a play around with it more this week and decide if I like 28mm.

Thanks Guys
03-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
In fact, I'd say, just go get it.
I wouldn't argue that this is a great bang for buck lens, it could even be the best bang for buck lens from pentax at the moment but I really would rather get a lens that I wouldn't want to replace too soon, I would rather save up for something that I would most likely not replace, I don't like buying and selling.

Thanks though, it definitely always stays in mind, if I can't find anything else I will most likely fall back on this lens, you can't really go wrong for how much it is.
03-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
I can't tell you how many people I have seen doing exactly that

another from the FA31:
03-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
In fact, I'd say, just go get it.l
Bonjour,

Agreed, I have the DA 35/2.4 and it's great ... also have a D FA 100/2.8 Macro WR which is really fantastic, but if I had to compare price/performance ratios, the DA 35 would probably win. I'd love to have the 31, but do not see it as a "holy grail" type lens ... maybe I am quite wrong here and need to shoot with one to really see ...

Allez et salut - J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-07-2012 at 11:32 PM.
03-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My FA31 is my favourite lens, IMHO it's the best of a pretty fine bunch of lenses amongst the limiteds. Wide-ish FOV, fast, stunningly sharp with gorgeous bokeh.

That said, a FA35 may be a worthy alternative. Much cheaper and not much slower or longer. Is FF compatiable and has an aperture ring and much better build quality than the DAL lenses. If you buy well second hand you wont lose much if anything on the resale either.
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

And the bokeh from the FA31 is simply sublime - the only other lens that can match (and in certain circumstances exceed) it would be the SMCP A/K 50mm f/1.2

FA31mm f/1.8 Limited ASPH on Pentax K10D ISO 100 1/1000th @ f/1.8