Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
when don't you use shake reduction

Hi I was wondering if there are situations where the use of shake reduction is more of a hindrance than a help

03-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

On tripod and when panning.
03-06-2012, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

SR is automatically switched-off when you use a remote or timer shutter release.
SR is ineffective at close distances -- how close is too close, you have to try and see.
SR is counter-productive when the camera is immobilized or panning.
SR is a bit of a pain when using manual-focus zoom lenses.
Otherwise, I have SR on all the time.

EDIT: I have no HSM/OS/whatever lenses, so I don't know what to switch off there.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-06-2012 at 08:03 AM.
03-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have SR most of the times off, just when I go to longer shutterspeeds, I will turn it on (and the speeds when I turn it on will depend on the lens I use). But with the 35 2.4 lens, I have used it with SR off at 1/15. SO you can go very low until you will notice shake in your shots

03-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

With sigma optical stabilization lenses.
03-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Try this: turn on SR and frame a picture by touching the shutter button half way until the SR icon comes on in the VF. Now lift the finger off the shutter. Move the camera suddenly to a new position, perhaps 10 degrees left or right, You'll see the SR hand icon fade out in the VF and then come back only after a 2 second period. If you have not used the thumb rule shutter speed for hand motion, but are relying on SR - during htat 2 second period - you will get fuzzy pics.

Any sort of fast moving snap shooting like street shooting or actors on a stage is happening too fast for SR to keep up, so i turn it off and rely on the thumb rule to freeze the subject. actually, you need a fast speed to freeze moving subjects anyway that is often fast enough to freeze hand motion blur.
03-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

i have it permanently off
03-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
I some times take photo's of water ski racing as this is usually in bright sunshine and at high shutter speeds I wasn't sure if SR was helping as I was panning pretty quickly
and using a 300mm kit lens hand held . I think may be a technique matter as I am finding it difficult to get a really good result.

03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It hasn't given me trouble yet (on tripod I use remote or timer, which automatically turns it off), so I don't turn it off.

However, multiple users on the forum state that at very fast shutter speeds (1/1000s and higher) and at certain shutter speeds (1/60s-150s or something like that) the shake reduction is detrimental. Also, when panning, if you try to take a shot immediately after you stop the horizontal motion, supposedly shake reduction is detrimental.
03-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good info guys. I don't really turn off my SR unless I'm going to be shooting with my tripod and also the camera won't allow SR if I'm doing the 2 sec timer.

How big really is the difference when you're panning?

This is one of the example of a panning shot that I did with SR on.

And I'm guessing it is advisable to turn it off when I'm going faster than 1/160?
03-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yup ! Listen to philbaum ..... SR takes a couple of secs to settle after each shot and
is reponsable for a lot of oomph pics !
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

On what occasion do I need to turn it on?

I guess if I'm going to be shooting with a 50mm and I have < 1/50 ?

Also I normally shoot on burst mode lo and breath in "like the sniper article that was posted on this forums a while back" and I take like 3 - 4 shots.

Here's an example of what I got with SR on. I don't know if SR really did help here or not though. "Shot w/o a tripod"

And thank you so much guys
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Yup ! Listen to philbaum ..... SR takes a couple of secs to settle after each shot and
is reponsable for a lot of oomph pics !
Yep, I used to shoot with it on all the time, now I only turn it on when I am going below the 1/FLx1.5 rule for shutter (ie 1/150 for my M100) as the original rule was based on 35MM. It's not that i can't hold steady at the lower speed but the higher speed helps guarantee a sharper shot. With SR I have shot with a 55 (so what should be 1/80 sec minimum) as low as 1/6 of a sec with acceptable results though 1/15 is more reliable. at these speeds subject motion is more of an issue
03-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Yep, I used to shoot with it on all the time, now I only turn it on when I am going below the 1/FLx1.5 rule for shutter (ie 1/150 for my M100) as the original rule was based on 35MM. It's not that i can't hold steady at the lower speed but the higher speed helps guarantee a sharper shot. With SR I have shot with a 55 (so what should be 1/80 sec minimum) as low as 1/6 of a sec with acceptable results though 1/15 is more reliable. at these speeds subject motion is more of an issue
I did the same thing. It took a lot of questions and answers to find out why I was getting so many pics totally unusable. you hear so much you get so you dont Know where start or who to listen too.
Two discoverys made a vast differance. That was the first and the second being the massive AF sensors.
Ive not had a single oomph shot since. Quite a few not spot on, but none that are unusable.
A bit of knowledge goes a long way !
03-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I heard with SR on you can do a 1/FLx1. Is this true?

Thanks guys (: I'll be incorporating this when I shoot now.