Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Baby Shower, Bowling Event, and Classroom Event... Oh My...

After shooting a kids' Christmas party and two Confirmations, I got asked to do some more events... I'm not taking any money for them, just doing a favor, but I would like to make them the best that I can and am looking for some tips.

I will be using a K-5 but need opinions on lens choice...
The only two AF lens I have at the moment are the F 50 1.7 and DA* 55 1.4. They are both very sharp, but I feel as if the F is a little faster in focusing.
Manual lens on hand are the following Takumars: 28 3.5, 55 1.8, 105 2.8, and 135 3.5. I would like to have the 28 with me in case something wide is needed because the 50 and 55 act like lens in the high 70-80mm range.
Flash is AF500ftz.

I think I will be okay with the shower and classroom shooting, it's the bowling I'm worried about... I really have no clue as to how to shoot that and where to start.

Thanks in advance!

03-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can hear where you are coming from. I did two shoots on Sunday. First was a kids carnival, held in an indoor, basement gym but with some daylight coming in. For that one I used my kit 18-55 WR to give me the range I needed. That evening I took photos at an engagement party. Very low lighting, however, I still prefer to shoot without flash when I can as it keeps things more natural and you can take multiple shots without the "victims" being aware of what is going on. For that I used a F50/1.7 as it is my fastest lens. The only other one I brought with me was my A28/2.8, but I never got a chance to switch over. I agree you should keep the 28 with you in case you need something wider than the F50. I have no experience with a DA* lens of any sort so I don't know how they compare, but going to a higher focal length isn't going to help.

There are a number of threads on this site about focusing issues with the K-5 and how the focus points are really a lot wider than you think. Certainly for the engagement party I could see where the camera had locked onto something just slightly off center, and so a number of shots weren't as sharp as I liked.

The thing that would worry me most about the bowling alley, aside from the cramped nature of the space, is the white balance. Not sure what kind of lighting you'll find, and I suspect you won't be using flash much, at least not on the lanes themselves.