Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Exposure Bracketing with controlled conditions for post HDR

Hey fellow Pentaxians!

I'm having a little issue here. I want to take merge some pics into HDR in post, but in order for me to do that I want 5 shots with different exposures but locked aperture and ISO.

I currently own a K-5 and when I try to take a picture in Manual mode with the exposure bracketing feature on, it takes the 5 shots but at different apertures. I'd like it to be done at different exposures.

Is there any way to change this? Or is my HDR technique completely off?

Thanks!

Edit: I realize you can use AV mode to do this, but is there any way to do this while choosing the first shot's exposure?

Last edited by Mental Mars; 03-07-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: More Information
03-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You're messing things up a lot. ^^

QuoteOriginally posted by Mental Mars Quote
I currently own a K-5 and when I try to take a picture in Manual mode with the exposure bracketing feature on, it takes the 5 shots but at different apertures. I'd like it to be done at different exposures.
I think you mean different shutterspeed or exposure time there

Edit: I realize you can use AV mode to do this, but is there any way to do this while choosing the first shot's exposure?
Yes Av does the trick you want.
Now do you mean exposure as in exposure or as shutterspeed?

Any way exposure and shutterspeed are selected automaticly in that mode and you select the ISO and aperture.
What you can do is change the EV exposure balance, so you can say to over or under expose the shot and so indirectly change the exposure and shutterspeed.

btw i believe if you set the M mode on Tv shift that it also only shift the shutterspeed in M mode but i ain't sure about that.
03-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response!

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I think you mean different shutterspeed or exposure time there
You're right I meant shutterspeed. In Av the camera decides it automatically, but I want to know if there's a way to control the three parameters (ISO, Aperture and Shutterspeed) while taking multiple exposure shots with only the shutterspeed changing (The aperture and exposure both change when taking shots with the Exposure Bracketing feature). I have a feeling this isn't possible in M mode, but I'll keep searching for a solution if it exists.
03-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
btw i believe if you set the M mode on Tv shift that it also only shift the shutterspeed in M mode but i ain't sure about that.
Pretty sure this works on my K200D

03-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
How would I go about setting the M mode to Tv shift?
03-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

How would I go about setting the M mode to Tv shift?
Custom menu and look for program line/green button in manual mode or something along those lines, sorry that i can't be more precies at the moment.

But i often just go into Av, the dynamic range is so great that you capture with 5 photos that it doesn't really matter if you exposure is a bit off or not or at least i can't be bothered by it.
03-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Go into Menu 5 -> e-Dial programming (2), and select "Tv shift" for the green button function in Manual. This will cause the camera to act the way you want.
03-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
Go into Menu 5 -> e-Dial programming (2), and select "Tv shift" for the green button function in Manual. This will cause the camera to act the way you want.
Thanks so much for the tip! Spot on .

07-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Forum Member

I can't seem to find such a setting on the K-r. Is there one? I just did my first big HDR shoot yesterday with it. I hadn't done much HDR since switching back to Pentax last fall. Now I sit down to process them and the aperture in the set ranges from f/5.6 to f/19! I was in M and ISO was locked at 400. Why in the world would a camera default to auto-bracketing by changing the aperture? I saw the shutter speed was changing but I didn't notice it wasn't doing all the work for the bracketing.

I have gone through the menus top to bottom and front to back, but I don't see anything relating to this. PLEASE tell me I'm wrong? I can not afford to upgrade right now. I need the K-r to work for me until I pay off the debt from my tremendously expensive ($50K) custody dispute.

Thank you?
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote
I can't seem to find such a setting on the K-r. Is there one? I just did my first big HDR shoot yesterday with it. I hadn't done much HDR since switching back to Pentax last fall. Now I sit down to process them and the aperture in the set ranges from f/5.6 to f/19! I was in M and ISO was locked at 400. Why in the world would a camera default to auto-bracketing by changing the aperture? I saw the shutter speed was changing but I didn't notice it wasn't doing all the work for the bracketing.

I have gone through the menus top to bottom and front to back, but I don't see anything relating to this. PLEASE tell me I'm wrong? I can not afford to upgrade right now. I need the K-r to work for me until I pay off the debt from my tremendously expensive ($50K) custody dispute.

Thank you?
The settings referred to are in the K5 menu system. You won't find them in the K-r
08-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
The settings referred to are in the K5 menu system.
Perhaps that's why I specified that I was using a different camera...
QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
You won't find them in the K-r
Well that's just a stupid design. Particularly for a firmware-only feature.
08-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Kr is quite a bit different, more features and more control buttons so it's not strange the more advance and expensive camera has more features right?

Besides this an option for manual mode something the Kr is less suited for because of single scroll wheel so it would be a feature used by a very small group of people, even for the K5.
08-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Forum Member

Most camera manufacturers simply don't offer AEB on their entry level models. Pentax does, but in an incredibly deficient manner, resulting in needlessly high iso images. And they don't advise you ahead of time that it's going to do that.

I'm quite familiar with the conceptual differences between entry level and "professional" cameras. This isn't a good example of that difference. This is just poor design, particularly for a camera introduced almost a decade after the first 3rd party HDR processing tools became available.
08-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Use Av with fixed ISO problem solved.

What are you making a problem off?
08-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
Forum Member

Av doesn't work well when doing panoramic HDR. It changes the exposure for different parts of the scene. The problem I am describing happened in manual mode, where ISO and aperture are supposed to always be fixed. Yet it wasn't. Every other camera I've ever used changes just the shutter speed when doing AEB in Av or M modes.

I'm not making the problem, I'm describing it. One more time:

In M mode the aperture AND shutter speed change in an AEB set.

In Av mode the shutter speed AND ISO change in an AEB set (and you don't get consistent exposures throughout a panorama).

I am attaching a screenshot in Lightroom showing a few frames from this HDR Pano set. Notice that the metadata (in the right panel) shows that I was in Manual mode. Note that all frames were shot at ISO 400. Then note that the shutter speed and aperture BOTH change to accomplish the AEB. (You'll also note that the brightest shot is blurry, because the K-r can't do an AEB set with a remote shutter release or with a timer, and my tripod setup just isn't solid enough to overcome the movement from my finger pressing the button, no matter how carefully I do so. And, of course, the white balance is ugly, but there's not much sense in editing these when the entire set is useless.)
Attached Images