Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Dust? Water? On the sensor? Inside the 18-55?

I need your help.

Here's a picture from my K-x with the original 18-55mm.

The dust or water is always the same size, always looks out of focus (never well defined), and doesn't seem present with my 55-300 or 50mm, but this could be caused by a different zoom / focus?

The picture is cropped 400% by the way.

Dust? Water? On the sensor? Inside the 18-55?

Thanks,
Yan

03-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Take a shot of something bright with the smallest aperture available, maybe f./29 or whatever your lenses support. The dust should look sharper.

It is just sensor dust btw. Looks identical to that in many other threads. Get a good blower, and if that alone doesn't do it, loosen the dust gently with a soft artist's brush, and then blow it out again. This is an issue for everyone with a DSLR, so don't worry too much about it. You'll get used to periodically cleaning it.

Remember that the position of the dust on the sensor is flipped and mirrored from what you see in the pics. So, dust in the upper right of a photo will actually be on the lower left of the sensor. Knowing this helps with using the artist's brush to loosen stubborn bits.
03-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry for the thread Hijack, but i am just curious. Was dust collecting on film as much of a problem (nuisance) as it is on sensors?
I don't have much experience with film, but i would think that the same thing would happen.
03-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I doubt it. We're exposing the same sensor day after day, month after month, and continually in some modes like LV and video. Whereas with film, you're exposing a different part of the film (or a different roll entirely) for a much shorter time.

03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Philosophical is right. A Rocket Blower is only around $10 and most consider it an essential kit piece of gear.
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most probably dust. If it were water, something else may have already gone bad inside your camera... I second the abovementioned suggestions in cleaning~
03-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Sorry for the thread Hijack, but i am just curious. Was dust collecting on film as much of a problem (nuisance) as it is on sensors?
I don't have much experience with film, but i would think that the same thing would happen.
Sometimes you got a lovely line or lines across all the negatives and prints from a roll - a sure sign that there was a bit of grit or sand in your camera.

03-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Was dust collecting on film as much of a problem (nuisance) as it is on sensors?
In-camera dust isn't a big deal with film but dust becomes a huge issue when making prints, when dust on the negative is enlarged and shows up as white blobs. If you think the cloning tool is a drag, try spending hours with a tiny paint brush trying to clean up a print (that's why many scan and print digitally now).