Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Need some help with an MX!

Help!

I have just finished my first ever roll of film through my new (to me) MX.

I depressed the film rewind button underneath and wound back the film clockwise (as indicated by the arrow) until it would not go any more. When I release the handle it spins back a bit in the opposite direction. I opened the back of the camera but I can see that the film still runs across to the other side, it hasn't run back into the cartridge. I imagine I will have ruined several exposures opening the door.

Any idea what has gone wrong & how I can fix it without losing the rest of the film?

Many thanks

03-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, the film's probably all gone.

However, you can make lemonade: test the rewind button to make sure it disengages the gearing and allows you to rewind the film.

What is normal: you should be able to hear the film move as you rewind, and at the end you can freely rotate the crank. Any solid resistance means the film isn't freed from the cogs, and you need to try again with the button on the bottom.

I've done worse: I have shattered film by rewinding it without having the gears disengaged.
03-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If it is your first roll it will be user error, it does take some getting used to, rewind gently and with a constant speed, you should feel resistance as the film nears the end and some times you can hear the film disengaging from the sprockets, it's just experience you will get used to it, it may have partially rewound, and you may salvage a few shot's from it.
03-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses so far. I've tried again and again, and although the release button clicks down into position, it does not release the film take-up sprocket inside the camera.

I've taken the base-plate off and had a look inside the base. There was a small amount of gunk in there (from the old seals no doubt) but not much and not where it would affect what's causing the problem. I think the sprocket must be jammed inside & the only way to un-jam it will be to open it all up, destroying the film, and have a poke about. I was really looking forward to seeing my first results from this camera .

Opinions?

03-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jonathan, it sounds like it is time to take the camera in for CLA. If you can't find anyone in Spain, you have to decide if the camera is worth the postage to Tennesee and Erick Hendrickson. Cliff
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As suggested on the UK forum, the magic needles in the MX can have a surprisingly strong grip on the end of the film. It was this, not the rewind release button, that was holding onto the film. I was applying a LOT of pressure rewinding the film and was worried I would tear the film or break the rewind lever. The rewind release button works perfectly. I opened the camera in a completely dark room and released the film, pushing the end into the cartridge manually.

So the only part of the film that has been exposed in the removal process is the first part, which was exposed anyway when I loaded the film. Fingers crossed it will turn out ok. Of course, as it's the test roll, there may be light leaks or shutter timing problems or other issues that have messed up the photos. But you never know until you try.