Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x USB cord

My original cord that connects my camera to my computer is no longer functioning. Does anyone know which model # this is or where I can get one that will work with it? Thanks.

03-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No, but I - like most - would say skip the cord and simply use a card reader. Easier and safer.
03-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

An alternative would be to buy a card reader. I use this with my K-x, instead of the cord, as the cord plugged into the computer for any length of time, drains the batteries.

I bought mine from Target, and have found them at Wal-Mart. They're fairly cheap, and mine cost me under $10. They are Targus brand, I've been using the one from Wal-Mart for two years without problems.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-15-2012 at 09:15 AM.
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It seems all USB cables delivered with Pentax cameras are exchangable. At least I used the same cables for Optio S5i, Optio A10, Optio A40, and K200D. Cables from other brands and from electronic stores for general purpose sometimes work, mostly they don't.

Keep in mind it's a "micro USB", not "Mini USB". As far as I know, Pentax uses lines not covered by the micro USB standard (like most of the competion, too.). Whether the missing lines of a standard cable will affect plain file copying, or only more sophisticated doings like tethering, only testing will show.

Last edited by RKKS08; 03-15-2012 at 09:21 AM.
03-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ginglesair Quote
My original cord that connects my camera to my computer is no longer functioning. Does anyone know which model # this is or where I can get one that will work with it? Thanks.
According to the box where my K-x came from, it's "I-USB7".

I second the others in the option of file transfer though. Just use a card reader. I think the USB cord isn't very useful unless you're going to use PK_Tether.
03-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
According to the box where my K-x came from, it's "I-USB7".

I second the others in the option of file transfer though. Just use a card reader. I think the USB cord isn't very useful unless you're going to use PK_Tether.
+1 to that. I actually got a USB reader with one of my SanDisk Class 10 cards and it was 10 cents less that way than for just the card Need a new SD card? You might find one bundled with a reader.
03-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. The cord will be used for tethering only.
03-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ginglesair Quote
Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. The cord will be used for tethering only.
eBay is your friend.....
usb cord pentax | eBay

03-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

See USB Data Cable/Cord For Pentax K10D K20D K100D Camera | eBay

Oh Doc beat me to it.
03-16-2012, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Are you sure its the cord and not the socket on the camera? The socket is rather fragile. The only physical mounting holding the socket to the internal circuit board are the solder connections.

I have seen several reports of the socket coming loose from the circuit board. This is one of the reasons that I never use the USB cable on my K10D.

If the socket has broken free in your camera, a new cord won't help. Repairing the socket is expensive and not a DIY project.

If a new cord DOES work and you use it for tethered shooting, be very careful that you don't put any horizontal strain on the cord when it is connected to your camera.