Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Don't look at this too long or you will surely go blind, but this is what you're looking for when searching for a 1:1.2.

03-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Don't look at this too long or you will surely go blind, but this is what you're looking for when searching for a 1:1.2.
I'm looking at mine (#1457485) at this very moment, about 50cm in front of my face, nestled between the F35-70 and the S-M-C-Takumar 135/2.5, and I haven't gone blind yet. But there's always tomorrow...

ObTopic: Wait, the OP question has already been answered. We can close this thread now. Or we can continue with our usual gassing over lens qualities. Let's see, would I trade my K50/1.2 for an A50/1.2? Probably.
03-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Cheers all for replys.

PPPPPP42 - good summary and this is pretty much what I'm thinking. Dont think my pockets are deep enough to pay for a 1.2 so reckon the 1.4 is the one I'll go for. It will definitely to be the 'A' version for ease of use (cant see the girlfriend waiting while I fiddle around to setup a manual shot ).
03-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
Forum Member

Well. I'll know in a week how happy I am with the 50 M 1:2 that I just bought. For me it was a trade off on price, I want to go back to manual like my Pentax Sv and Super Program and this was the ticket.

If/when I get good with this one then I will spend more money. Chances are very high that the issues will be me, not the lens.

Gerrit

03-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Humbr the M series is perfect for the SV, but as i'm sure you already know the Super Program was specifically designed to use the A lenses (released at the same time) so your missing some of the niftyness of that cameras automatic exposure variations, which is handy when you don't have an LCD to chimp on and want to just take pictures rather than compose art.
03-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Please note that I said that ordinary A-line lenses are *considered* somewhat inferior build-wise, not that they *are* inferior. I'm just reporting what I've read; I haven't used enough A-liners to make a judgment. Still, a couple of my lousier zooms have been A-line: A28-80/3.5-4.5, and what's arguably the worst lens Pentax ever produced, A35-80/4-5.6. That last is decent when reversed for macro use; but straight up, it sucks. And it has the cheapest plastic feel. A sorry excuse for a kit lens...
I may get this wrong, but you also have to be aware of the Takumar zoom lenses - which are not of the same quality as the primes. And there are a lot of lenses in the 28 or 35 to 70 or 80 range that don't have great ratings in the database and that is for a whole slew of mounts.

QuoteOriginally posted by mde1970 Quote
RioRico - thanks. I'm only looking at pentax-a series as really wanted the aperture to work through the body, but this is all good information :-)

I also had thoughts of sticking with A mounts or higher, but the macro bug has bitten and to do that it is a lot easier to get comfortable with manual mode if you are going to try to do cheap macro using extension tubes.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Certain of the "ordinary" A-series lenses are outstanding both in build and image quality - the A35~105/3.5 for instance. I have thought about selling almost every lens I own at one time or another except that and the FA35/2.
Not that I have many lenses to pick from, but while I'll stick an autofocus on my camera when I need it, the A35-105/3.5 seems to be living on the body most of the time. I love the range and the ability to go close focus at all focal lengths.
03-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Humbr the M series is perfect for the SV, but as i'm sure you already know the Super Program was specifically designed to use the A lenses (released at the same time) so your missing some of the niftyness of that cameras automatic exposure variations, which is handy when you don't have an LCD to chimp on and want to just take pictures rather than compose art.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The 50 f2 is going on my K5, I was only mentioning the Sv and Super as cameras I had wih little or no automation with a similar lens :-)
I now have the lens, good condition and fair price. Works well on the K5 although I need to do a small mod to make it easier to use on manual.

Gerrit

03-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Cheers all for replys.

PPPPPP42 - good summary and this is pretty much what I'm thinking. Dont think my pockets are deep enough to pay for a 1.2 so reckon the 1.4 is the one I'll go for. It will definitely to be the 'A' version for ease of use (cant see the girlfriend waiting while I fiddle around to setup a manual shot ).
Let me speak for the humble (F, FA) A 1:1.7. Fast enough - DOF shallow enough. Sharp. Good buy.
03-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Hi,

Almost made a mistake today by placing a bid on a 50mm lens on ebay.

It is listed as 1:2 and I initially mistook this to be f1.2 (which I'm sure its not). Can anyone clarify what the 1:2 means?
here is a link to a very well written explanation regarding the meaning and how a lens is marked something like 1:2 or 1:1.4 - just scroll down a bit to the f stop section...

A Tedious Explanation of the f/stop

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Let me speak for the humble (F, FA) A 1:1.7. Fast enough - DOF shallow enough. Sharp. Good buy.
+1