Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Alternative to PENTAX REFConverter A for macro work

Hello all,

I was wondering what do people use for macro work since the refconverter is no longer available?

My k20d is great and all, but the viewfinder is not enough to check focus for macro work. So I decided I need an upgrade

However pentax only manufacture the O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe now, and that only increases magnification by 20%, which I doubt is enough to very precise focusing, especially with a thin DOF!(feel free to convince me of the opposite)

Which is why I ask for advice: what should i use for my pentax k20d camera, to magnify the image in the viewfinder so I can focus more accurately.

sincerely

the Pentaxinator

03-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How about something like this?
03-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
refconverter A is still quite common on ebay here is one on sale now
03-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
refconverter A is still quite common on ebay here is one on sale now
That eBay photo is quite misleading, because the manual shows a Refconverter A, but the actual item on sale is the older Refconverter, which can be adapted to fit (by cutting down the metal slide to fit the larger A and later viewfinders) but which reverses the image and doesn't have the 2x magnification available that the A model does. I have both, and the A is a big advance over the previous type, and is equally well-made. I can't speak for either the build or the optical quality of the Seagull, although it does seem to be popular and does offer greater magnification than the Pentax units, but perhaps the price is the biggest factor in its popularity.

03-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I can't speak for either the build or the optical quality of the Seagull...
Just wanted to add, neither can I. It's been sitting in my watch list for awhile, but I haven't had the cash for that kind of extra, when it's a lot less critical to me than some other items.

It sounds like it's a decent product from other reviews, but I would definitely advise anyone thinking of buying it to do their own research.