Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Interesting and glad they helped you, but I'd suggest you review them because the only review says they are too weak to be of any help.
Ditto !

I had the same problem with those "weak" gadgets.

JP

03-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
a cheap and easily accessible item to use as a filter wrench is a longish zip tie (about 12 inches long). Use it like a flexible filter wrench (go to your local Sears hardware dept to see this). The trick is to hold it in such a way as to cause the zip tie to bind on the filter with enough tension and friction to grip the filter while allowing leverage to turn it. I pinch the zip tie between my thumb and index finger and grip the rest of the zip tie with my other fingers. And make certain when you try to loosen it you are not turning it the wrong way (righty tighty, lefty loosey, when looking at the front of the lens)!

good luck!
Great job with your set up and you saved the OP tons of hardship !

Personally, I will carry one or two of those zip ties in the bag !!

Cheers.

JP
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
a cheap and easily accessible item to use as a filter wrench is a longish zip tie (about 12 inches long). Use it like a flexible filter wrench (go to your local Sears hardware dept to see this). The trick is to hold it in such a way as to cause the zip tie to bind on the filter with enough tension and friction to grip the filter while allowing leverage to turn it. I pinch the zip tie between my thumb and index finger and grip the rest of the zip tie with my other fingers. And make certain when you try to loosen it you are not turning it the wrong way (righty tighty, lefty loosey, when looking at the front of the lens)!

good luck!
This should also be added to Docrwm's Thread What item was the least expensive that helped the most?
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #34
Forum Member

I had a similar problem with a UV filter and tried everything recommended. No luck with the rubberband, jar opener, or filter wrench. I tried setting the lens upright, filter side down, on a big of ice and still no luck. Put the lens in a plastic zip bag and in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Used the filter wrench and the filter came right off. Let the lens sit at room temp for a couple of hours while we went out to eat. No fogging or moisture evident in the lens. Great tips for a common problem.