Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A few hours in the freezer and rubber band/glove for grip: no joy.
Next suggestion?

03-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A few hours in the freezer and rubber band/glove for grip: no joy.
Next suggestion?
Because they are different materials they expand/contract at different rates UNTIL they stabilize at the same point. Perhaps you left them in too long and they were both stabilized. I'd try as they warm up periodically, if they've already thawed then I'd cool them a wee bit and try periodically.
03-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you still can't get them off, I've bought a set of these Sensei 62-77mm Filter Wrench (Set of 2) FW6277 B&H Photo Video and haven't had a stuck filter since. They come in a smaller size as well.
03-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
If you still can't get them off, I've bought a set of these Sensei 62-77mm Filter Wrench (Set of 2) FW6277 B&H Photo Video and haven't had a stuck filter since. They come in a smaller size as well.
Interesting and glad they helped you, but I'd suggest you review them because the only review says they are too weak to be of any help.

03-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That's not going to work with a polariser though, is it?
I didn't fully read the OP post.
03-18-2012, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a cheap and easily accessible item to use as a filter wrench is a longish zip tie (about 12 inches long). Use it like a flexible filter wrench (go to your local Sears hardware dept to see this). The trick is to hold it in such a way as to cause the zip tie to bind on the filter with enough tension and friction to grip the filter while allowing leverage to turn it. I pinch the zip tie between my thumb and index finger and grip the rest of the zip tie with my other fingers. And make certain when you try to loosen it you are not turning it the wrong way (righty tighty, lefty loosey, when looking at the front of the lens)!

good luck!
03-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but you are trying to turn it in the right direction aren't you? Lefty = loosey, righty = tighty.

03-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I,m not sure if you have any good sources for cheap tools there but using the edge of a strap wrench has worked for me
2 Piece Rubber Strap Wrench Set
you might be able to make something like that with a suitable size fan belt if you can find one cheap enough too.

Sometimes that whole squeeze too hard thing can help instead of hurt. Try threading a second filter into the front of the stuck one. It gives you a bigger gripping area and that squeeze deformation can make the second ring grip the first one (though being a circular polarizer is going to make any method more challenging). A lens hood or similar might also help rather than a second filter.
03-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but you are trying to turn it in the right direction aren't you? Lefty = loosey, righty = tighty.
No, it's not a stupid question. But no, I'm not stupid

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-19-2012 at 10:13 PM.
03-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
a cheap and easily accessible item to use as a filter wrench is a longish zip tie (about 12 inches long). Use it like a flexible filter wrench (go to your local Sears hardware dept to see this). The trick is to hold it in such a way as to cause the zip tie to bind on the filter with enough tension and friction to grip the filter while allowing leverage to turn it. I pinch the zip tie between my thumb and index finger and grip the rest of the zip tie with my other fingers. And make certain when you try to loosen it you are not turning it the wrong way (righty tighty, lefty loosey, when looking at the front of the lens)!

good luck!
This I really like. Trip to the hardware shop tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-19-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
BigDave, you are a life-saver!
The cable tie worked a treat.
You have rescued an expensive filter and an even more expensive lens
Many thanks.
03-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you are welcome!

now keep one or two in your camera bag for the NEXT time it happens, because it will.

Cheers!
03-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
you are welcome!

now keep one or two in your camera bag for the NEXT time it happens, because it will.

Cheers!
A 'like' from me as well.

Although I've been lucky so far and not had this problem, I'm keeping a couple of ties in my camera bag just in case.
03-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #29

Filter stuck..

Don"t forget the chicken fat smeared all over it...you won"t need the cable ties then.....
03-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are specific "filter wrenches" you can purchase to separate filters or remove a filter from a lens. check B&H on line

General Brand Filter Wrench (Set of 2) B&H Photo Video