Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welded filter thread

Brand new Heliopan circular polariser on a nearly new Sigma EX 17-50.
I just can *not* get the thing off. It's been a week now :-(
Part of the problem is of course difficulty getting purchase on the thin rim that threads into the lens. Strength is not the issue. I have tried carefully applying a penetrating lubricant to no avail.
Any suggestions??

03-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rubber band around the filter or wearing rubber gloves might help with traction.
03-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

I had this problem with a polarizer and a close focus lens filter locked together. If Ex Finn.'s trick doesn't work (or if you don't have those components), toss the offenders in the freezer for a while, it should shrink the bits enough to easily pull apart. Again, just my experience ONE time... No matter *what* I tried, I couldn't get them apart. I put them in the freezer and it was as if they were never locked together.
03-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did something similar as pezmaker ...

I put an ice cube tray on the kitchen table, covered it with a thin cloth and put the lens with it's filter side directly on the cloth ... left it there for 5 minutes (or longer ?) andthe filter could be unscrewed with no effort at all.

This was suggested by a PF member here.

JP

03-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you can't get enough of a grip with the rubber band, try one of those rubber sheets that they sell to help with opening bottles - they are more forgiving. Also, the temperature trick works but be careful with the lens - personally, I'd try the fridge first.
03-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Fair point. This was just a "macro" filter and a polarizer, I don't know if I'd been so quick to throw a lens in the freezer. Well, at least a new one. My M 1.7 or helios 44-2, wouldn't hesitate, but who knows with these new fangled auto focus lenses
03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll try the rubber band, but I really like the cooling idea.
I'll give it a go as soon as I get home. Thanks

03-17-2012, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Fair point. This was just a "macro" filter and a polarizer, I don't know if I'd been so quick to throw a lens in the freezer. Well, at least a new one. My M 1.7 or helios 44-2, wouldn't hesitate, but who knows with these new fangled auto focus lenses
Electronics can be finicky that way.
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another thing to keep in mind is that strength is not your friend here. The tighter you grip the more distorted the threads get and thus bind. Use the least amount of force you can, rubber band or rubber sheet helps to get purchase without gripping tightly. Avoid squeezing from the sides if you can, instead put the rubber sheet on top and gently try to twist it.
03-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Another thing to keep in mind is that strength is not your friend here. The tighter you grip the more distorted the threads get and thus bind. Use the least amount of force you can, rubber band or rubber sheet helps to get purchase without gripping tightly. Avoid squeezing from the sides if you can, instead put the rubber sheet on top and gently try to twist it.
Excellent points!
03-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had success with one of those flat rubber bathtub drain stoppers I got at WallyWorld - no squeezing at all, just even pressure with the palm all the way around the face of the filter.
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've had success with one of those flat rubber bathtub drain stoppers I got at WallyWorld - no squeezing at all, just even pressure with the palm all the way around the face of the filter.
You might think about adding that one to this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171466-wh...lped-most.html
03-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Lenses get a lot colder than the freezer during normal winter use outdoors. I wouldn't worry much about the cold, but condensation could be an issue if it's humid in the house. Putting the lens in a plastic bag before freezing it would help mitigate this. The plastic bag might even help to grab the filter when it's taken out.
03-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That trick works fine with a fixed filter, not so fine with a CPL or other 2-part rotating filter. One can sometimes find cheap "jar openers" at discount stores, with a levered plastic strap to grab the edges of a jar lid or lens filter. This is my favorite butt-saver.

To avoid such aluminum welding in the future, run a bar of soap lightly around the male threads. Prevention is the best medicine. Except maybe chicken fat.
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's not going to work with a polariser though, is it?