Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

K1000 Lazy Mirror

Just like the title says, the mirror in my K1000 sometimes doesn't quite feel like doing it's job. And I hate that, because I bought it like two weeks ago.

Here's how it goes... I bought the camera, loaded some film in it and then I went out shooting nonsense and taking notes to check how well the meter was working. However, when the negs came back from the lab, any concerns I might have had about the meter disapeared when I noticed four random shots were completely black. At first I thought it might be a shutter problem, but then I saw something that made that theory invalid.

Here's what I saw:

As you can see, frame number 8 (middle bottom) is completely black, however, frame number 4 (middle top) has some exposure on the top portion. Now, if the problem was in the shutter curtains, the exposed portion would be vertical, since they travel horizontally. This is what made me realize the problem was with the mirror. It either gets stuck down and doesn't come up, or it just barely moves, giving the kind of exposed portion you see in frame 4.

Now, I know some (or most) of you will tell me to get it CLAd. The bad news is I live in a small town, and nobody offers that kind of service around here. I already wrote to the guy who sold me the camera to see if he could take care of that, since he lives in a major city (Buenos Aires, actually, which is, the capital).

Anyway, what I need is to see if someone had this problem before, heard about it or knows if it can be fixed.

03-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No matter how slow the mirror is, the shutter should not fire until the mirror is up, as that position releases the actual shutter. So the issue is misadjusted or sticky interlock mechanism that allows the shutter to trip without the mirror being up.
It clearly needs cleaning and adjusting. National Camera has a training manual that takes you through K1000 disassembly and operation step by step, but most people are better off finding a camera tech, as it is a bit complex.
I don't know what shipping costs and hassles it would involve, but Eric Hendrickson in the US is the best on Pentax repairs, and a K1000 CLA is quite reasonable.
03-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, tomorrow I'll be shipping the camera to a professional technical service, so it's good to know where the problem might be. Thank you, Tom.
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can also see light leaks on the negatives, so a CLA is indeed required.