Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #16

After having my K200D for awhile now, I found that after getting a few good quality lenses, it made taking photos for me to a new level of enjoyment... sort of like a second wind for my interest in the hobby...

03-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New or Newer?

Hi Photoaggie,
As many have stated, dropping new sales of a camera model has little to do with the quality of that model. It's not like it was recalled or turned out to be defective.
Just replaced, or will be, soon.
But, unless you absolutely NEED whatever bells and whistles the new model presents, you should be happy with your K-r. Learn to use all the features it has, try different lenses and photo techniques and get the most out of your gear.
When it's time for a new camera body, you'll know it. Don't let the marketing department make the choice for you.
Ron
03-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
it's just reached end of life
The end of it's "commercial life !"
03-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy your K-r

It's not you ..... its "them". "They" all do it.

Short product cycles and realeasing of new and more desirable models more often is just part of our consumer society.

"Planned Obsolescence - the desire on the part of a consumer to own something , a little newer , a little better, a little sooner than is necessary". - Brooks Stevens c.1954

I think Apple must be the absolute master of this technique. How people with i-Pad 2's will be queuing overnight to be the first to own an i-Pad 3?

This is one reason I don't own any Apple products and I have a Pentax DSLR.

Pentax's support of K-mount legacy lenses (and MF ones too) is evidence that they don't subscribe to "planned systematic obsolescence" unlike Canon.

How do Canon sell a boatload of EF mount lenses? Simple discontinue the FD mount and make it incompatible with the new system.
Nikon is part way there with new bodies specc'd below the D7000 without an AF drive for older AF lenses.

At least SLR cameras don't seem to be engineered deliberately poorly to fail earlier than they should, unlike many other consumer products.
As an engineer I think this is unethical, I couldn't live with myself delibaeratley designing something to fail.

If you have a spare 53minutes I can recommend this fascinating documentary. (It's in English - but taken from a Norwegian TV broadcast)

Short life lightbulbs
Inkjet printers
i-pods with irreplaceable batteries

what to do with all the waste?

03-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If film was still highly in use and more affordable to use than digital than I STILL would be using my Pentax ME Super, that thing is built like a tank and even though they came out with newer SLRs I still used my ME Super, I never even was tempted to "upgrade" to the nest biggest thing. Ya I just upgraded to the K-5 knowing that there is most likely something newer and supposedly better just around the corner, but this camera is more than ample for what I am needing in the future, I still have my K-x and it will be a major part of my camera bag for at least the next five years and will be getting the same amount of usage as my K-5.
If the camera works then stay with it and instead of getting something that isnt even proven yet, go get some new glass.
03-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Planned Obsolescence...
Hi
The other one is "Planned Breakdown". For example: You buy a "thingymejig" it really looks well mad (and it may even be well made) has a good heft and feels solid giving you the impression it will last a long while. What you don't know however and what you can't see, inside there is a part that has been carefully engineered for timed breakdown. Like a plastic shaft that could have been made from steel but will break pretty well exactly after, say, 1000 actuation. After market research the manufacturer will know if you use this "thingymejig" once a day you will need to buy another one after approx 3 years. In the meantime a new model goes to market which is advertised a "New and Improved" But the improvement only means the manufacturer has found a cheaper way of making it. Cynical ? Not at all, I am speaking from experience.

Luckily Pentax so far has not yet given me the impression that it follows this policy.

Greetings

Greetings
04-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #22

No worries, every camera is discontinued. All it really means is that you didn't buy the latest line of the camera, which is not at all bad, given the higher prices current generation cameras command.
04-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Use it until it can't do something you really, really want to do. The phone analogy isn't bad - when do you upgrade? I'm still using an iPhone 3G but will probably upgrade with the next model. The phone still works fine, but doesn't run new apps. I upgraded from K-10 to K-5 - skipping a few generations seems the more financially prudent decision.

A company has to release models more quickly to stay on the development curve and provide marketing buzz. You don't have to buy that.

04-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I bought my K100D quite a while after it was discontinued, the K200D was nearing the end of its run at the time. Since then the K-m, K-x and K-r have came out and been discontinued, I still shoot with a K100D. It didn't stop being a good camera as soon as the next one replaced it.
04-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #25

Photoaggie,
Enjoy your K-r! I'm sure it is a wonderful piece of equipment. I keep getting the upgrade "lust" myself, as I am using a K200D which has been discontinued for a while now. I don't regret having my K200D at all. It is a fantastic piece of equipment and never ceases to amaze me at the quality of images that it provides!
Happy shooting!
04-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #26

Understand that feeling

I just recently acquires a K20D myself. I keep wondering to myself whether that was a good buy. After about a week or 2 with the camera, I could not be happier. All models get discontinued, I try not to get caught up in the whole upgrade cycle.
04-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Soon enough even the K-5 will be discontinued, but would it still be worth buying? To me, of course it is!
04-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Soon enough even the K-5 will be discontinued, but would it still be worth buying? To me, of course it is!
Personally, I'm waiting for this - So I can get another one for cheap!