Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #1

should I have buyer's remourse?

I purchased a new K-r this past summer and recently learned that it has been discontinued. This is my first DSLR and have been quite happy with it. Am I missing something? Is there something about this model that is defective?

03-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be happy that you managed to get a new one There's nothing wrong with it- it's just reached end of life.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
a little over a year is a quick life isn't it? Compared to other models that is...
03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Consider it like any "old" other piece of electronics - The only way to get folks to buy new, is to rapidly obsolete the old. I balk at having to replace my computer, or my TV or my DVD just because there is a new gadget, and that goes similarly for my camera. If you are pleased, and you are not constrained by the ability/features of the camera - then I think you should continue to be pleased and forget about the rapid race to part consumers from their money....

03-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless you are prepared to spend alot of money, you'll never have the most up to date camera for more than 6 months to a year, if Pentax doesn't introduce something, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Samsung, etc will release something newer faster better, etc. As long as you are using it and derive satisfaction from the camera it was likely a good purchase. Its a good camera and you've made a good choice.

Just watch out for the LBA!
03-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoaggie Quote
a little over a year is a quick life isn't it? Compared to other models that is...
Most consumer-grade DSLRs get replaced about every 18 months or so.
03-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Keep in mind, they don't really get 'replaced' per se.. I mean, your camera doesn't just start squirting out poison instead of taking photos when they announce a new one. That's just the way of capitalism. You make something, sell it, then people want new things, you make and sell a new thing, etc. The K-r is a good camera, use it for as long as it suits your needs and only buy a new one when this one no longer functions. Very rarely are new cameras so earth-shattering that they make all the older ones obsolete, and if they are, they would cost a little fortune.
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Forum Member

Adam - I'm sending this to you as I really could not figure out how/where to post this question. My Pentax 645Nii is a bit heavy to carry around - after a medical issue developed last year - but I was just beginning to get the hang of the very easy to use controls.

So, I'm looking for the right digital replacement and there are lots and lots of Pentax potentials out there. The K5 has way more capabilities and complexities than I need or want, same with the K01, etc, etc. I'd like to get some ideas from other forum members of a good Pentax digital, that takes limited lenses, but has controls as close as possible to the ease of use of the 645Nii.

Thanks,

Rich M

03-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

@uswrdm02 - This probably should have been its own beginners corner topic, though DSLR discussion would also have worked.

The lower end Pentax body controls aren't bad (single control wheel that carries out a second function when another button is pressed in combination with the wheel), but the higher end bodies with two control wheels are all easy to learn. In manual, one wheel controls shutter speed and the other aperture. In aperture priority, one wheel controls aperture and the other exposure compensation. Other modes put the two most relevant controls for that mode on the dials.

I would recommend the K10d, K20d, K7 or K5 for ease of use depending on your budget, but the lower and mid level bodies aren't that much harder to use. I do all of my shooting in either manual or aperture priority.

For a 35mm film body, the MZ-5n is very light and has controls that are very similar to the 645N and NII, though you will want to find one that has had the mirror motor gear replaced or factor the cost of replacing the gear into the purchase price of the body.
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I never had a camera like the 645N, you can take a look at the K-r's controls on some images online or at a store. But I find the K-r to be very easy to use, especially in Av or Tv mode (not to mention P or auto). The things that are buried in the menus aren't things you change often anyway.
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

To the OP, if you're happy with the K-r, then you're not missing anything. It actually takes Pentax a bit longer to introduce a new model versus Canon or Nikon. Just look at Canon with the T1i, T2i, T3i, and to be announced T4i. In the same time span, Pentax has moved from the K-x to the K-r.

The latest and greatest is always desirable, but mastering your own skills as a photographer will yield better results than a newer camera.
03-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Forum Member

When I bought my K-x in January 2011 I was aware it was already out of production. I checked the specs on both the K-7, and the K-r against the K-x and decided that its capabilities and its co$t were what I wanted, so I made a learned choice and haven't regretted it at all. I am very happy with it and most probably will graduate to a K-5 in the future when I have the money to do so (or my wife allows me ) even if it might be out of production when this happens. I have bought used items right here at the marketplace with very good results that I might go the route of a used K-5 whenever I do so.

No problem in buying "obsolete" cameras. The better for us, price-wise. Enjoy your K-r.
03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter

If you had bought it earlier, it would have had a longer life span :-)
03-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #14

You got a great camera! Go enjoy it and forget about new models for now. Soon you'll find that the problem is not with new body releases but with the LBA eating all you money hehe
03-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I purchased a new K-r this past summer and recently learned that it has been discontinued. This is my first DSLR and have been quite happy with it. Am I missing something? Is there something about this model that is defective?
Worry not, photoaggie. As the other mentioned above, it's discontinued not because it's a failed product; it just went past its marketing time. While this may not seem a conventional comparison, look at the iPad - the iPad 2 came out March last year, now replaced with the iPad 3 of March this year. It's the same for cameras.

And while you're at it you could look at how fast Canon and Nikon also change their models - the 1000D to 1100D, the D3000 to D3100, and so on.

So don't worry about the "discontinued" label (I bought my K-x just as the K-r came out)! As long as it shoots, it's a good camera