Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
@ LaurenOE

Are you aware, that these videos can be looked at in the US, but are blocked for many other countries?

For certain settings of your copyright, YouTube is not allowed to show your videos in many countries if you haven't an agreement with their domestic intellectual property rights administration. If someone tries to see these videos, he/she will get a message equal to this (it says "music" because this is a standardized message):
Yep. Germany is the one country that blocks it. Sadly, YouTube identified the content wrong, and it's too difficult to fix.

03-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adk X Quote
Thank you for the advice,I picked up a Benro Travel Angel carbon fiber ..used.Now I need a ball head for it...thinking of a Manfrotto...a light one maybe like the Classic. The Grip ball head may be too big ???Thanks !
Good choice, I bought one of the new models direct from China via Ebay - Benro C2682T - excellent piece of kit, pretty much the same quality as Gitzo for a lot less, Benro were the original designer/manufacturer for Gitzo before they had a bust up apparently.

Regarding heads you can do a lot worse than the Benro B1, I find it very good and it's nice and compact so the whole setup is pretty lightweight and compact for carrying around whilst hiking

Simon
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
my tripod gets submerged in ocean water, partly buried at the beach, etc...so as soon as i can get to a beach shower or hose, i usually spray it to get the sand out of the legs and clamps. Every couple of months i like to disassemble the tripod and carefully clean it and readjust tension on the legs and clamps so it operates smoothly in the field.
here is a disassembly shot from sunday:

04-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
my tripod gets submerged in ocean water, partly buried at the beach, etc...so as soon as i can get to a beach shower or hose, i usually spray it to get the sand out of the legs and clamps. Every couple of months i like to disassemble the tripod and carefully clean it and readjust tension on the legs and clamps so it operates smoothly in the field.
here is a disassembly shot from sunday:
Yep! That's what I'm talking about ! Having a tough-rugged tripod!
I do the same thing with my Manfrotto. I can take it apart and put it back together no matter what I throw at it.

On, and you forgot to take apart the main leg/junction. The joints up there get very rusty and control the tension on how much force the legs open.

(You probably take them apart too, but just not in the above pic)

04-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep! That's what I'm talking about ! Having a tough-rugged tripod!
I do the same thing with my Manfrotto. I can take it apart and put it back together no matter what I throw at it.

On, and you forgot to take apart the main leg/junction. The joints up there get very rusty and control the tension on how much force the legs open.

(You probably take them apart too, but just not in the above pic)

i did - this pic was an afterthought while i was reassembling. i had put some of the leg clamps back on too. yes, the tension on the leg spread is a big deal for me - i like it just right & not flopping around.
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i did - this pic was an afterthought while i was reassembling. i had put some of the leg clamps back on too. yes, the tension on the leg spread is a big deal for me - i like it just right & not flopping around.
Yep, gotcha! Me too! I like to open the legs with "just" enough force. I also take a little torque wrench to those bolts so they are the exact same torque. I know, checking the torque on those is very much like "Pixel Peeping".

04-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep, gotcha! Me too! I like to open the legs with "just" enough force. I also take a little torque wrench to those bolts so they are the exact same torque. I know, checking the torque on those is very much like "Pixel Peeping".

wow, you got me beat!
[runs for his torque wrench...]
04-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #38
Site Supporter

@simonkit, how was your experience ordering the benro off ebay? i've seen some deals from chinese sellers but have been hesitant to go for it.

04-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I got something similar to this (same brand, this is slightly newer I think):
Walmart.com: Targus Red Pro Series 60" 3-Way Panhead and Bubble Level Tripod, TG-P60T: Digital Cameras
its aluminum so its heavy enough but light enough, doesn't have all that terrifically unnecessary bracing on the legs that the heavy tripods often do so it folds down super narrow fast and easy, doesn't have baseball bats disguised as handles attached to the top. In short it does absolutely everything I could think of a tripod doing as good as is possible. Only a ball head to make angle adjustment faster would be more helpful but a quick button press release swings the top to portrait and a thumb screw will lock it in any angle in addition to the standard rotate and pivot. For $42 the value of this destroys most pro stuff, I am not even slightly gentle on this and it holds up super well, plus I could replace it 3 times at any walmart for that price and still be cheaper.

I also added a $5 rifle sling to it in such a way so as I just unlatch the quick release bracket for the camera, pop the legs closed, sling it on my shoulder and go. The sling doesn't interfere with collapsing or any functions of it. It would really piss me off to have to carry it by hand (it takes 2 hands to take a picture) or to have it tangled up in my bag, and this way I NEVER leave it behind, if the camera goes so does the tripod unless its blazing bright daylight outdoors where it would be fairly useless.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-15-2012 at 08:29 PM.
04-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #40

Original Poster
Thanks...never thought of a rifle sling for a tripod...just may give it a try !
04-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #41
Pentaxian

This is the $5 rifle sling on the tripod, I attached it above and below that height adjustment so it can still be fully collapsed and stuffed in its bag, otherwise it wouldn't collapse all the way. the sling is adjusted tight enough so that the tripod doesn't swing around or be a bother and loose enough that I can slip my arm through it without work even with a coat. I can carry it on my back with the legs fully collapsed or fully extended if i'm being lazy and I usually forget its there while walking, the grip just swings around so it doesn't bang me in the head or i just fold it down.

With the quick release already screwed to the camera I can quick deploy this really fast off my back, or just carry it around all day and not use it and not be irritated that its constantly taking up one hand or something, which was what pissed me off before and made me not carry it half the time. Now its always with me either for long lens or low light possibilities.