Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
If you are trendy you will want a carbon fibre one, otherwise you will be happy with an Aluminum one.
It's not just about being trendy. The carbon fibre tripods really are lighter and more pleasant to work with. The last thing you want to do is purchase a tripod that's a drag to carry around and ends up being left at home. Unlike a digital camera, which has to be replaced every 3 to 5 years or so, a good tripod can last decades, so you can justify spending more money on it.

03-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Aren't Redged tripods just rebadged HorusBennus? Amazing how a new badge can increase the price of something...
They certainly look like it.
03-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tripods. They are definitely a love/hate kind of thing. I HATE taking my heavy Manfrotto 3021Pro everywhere - but - I LOVE that I can hang my back pack from it, use a video head with it, use a leveling center post with it, camp things to it's legs, use my slider with it, has replacement parts, is tough,water/sand/mud agnostic and can take a BEATING.

I have a closet full of other tripods, but the 3021Pro has been all over the world with me. I can't imagine a better outdoor tripod when you are actually in the outdoors.
03-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
this is so true!

I've had a few different tripods and have settled into a fairly heavy setup which i much prefer over the lighter carbon fiber one i used to use. when i am outside shooting in 15-20mph winds, i sometimes wish i had the concrete and brick rig, lol. So far, i've never gone on a hike that was so long that i regretted slinging my heavy tripod over my shoulder, however, i do have a couple of very small, very light tripods should this ever happen.
presently i use the Manfrotto 3021BPro legs with a Manfrotto 329 3-way head and it is super stable in most windy conditions.
Yep. This is what I am talking about. Agree 100%

03-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my 3021Pro in action.

Notice that I am also using other Manfrotto bits and I am clamping to a leg. The red bit is the center post leveling head, and I have a slider attached.

3021Pro - It's a tough bad-ass tripod.
03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
It's not just about being trendy. The carbon fibre tripods really are lighter and more pleasant to work with. The last thing you want to do is purchase a tripod that's a drag to carry around and ends up being left at home. Unlike a digital camera, which has to be replaced every 3 to 5 years or so, a good tripod can last decades, so you can justify spending more money on it.
Quite true. I had a Manfrotto 055 which became heavier than I wanted to carry, and had some other issues as well (crappy leg locks). The Feisol with head weighs about 3.5 pounds compared to my 055 which was around 8 pounds with head. The CF tripods are nicer to use, especially in cold weather, and comparing the Feisol to the Manfrotto is a night and day comparison for overall usability. The Manfrotto feels and works really clunky by comparison. It just isn't a good tripod.
My understanding, though I could be wrong, is that CF tripods don't transmit vibration or sing the same way that metal tripods do.
03-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every shot in this was done with my 3021Pro and setup above

1. Notice..
  2. In some places it's grass/marsh/stone/woods/Sheep - Cow poop
  3. Notice the wind at 4:13, 4:34, 4:39
  4. 5:34 - The camera and slider are actually UPSIDE DOWN here and moving across the grass!

1. Notice..
  2. 1:42, another UPSIDE DOWN shot with the slider and camera. This time over a tombstone.
  3. Lots more wind and interesting setups.

With a tripod like the 3021Pro, you can do things on location that you can't predict.

03-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
wow, those are amazing, Lauren!
03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
wow, those are amazing, Lauren!
Thanks.

Like I said, I LOVE/HATE a tough metal tripod. I could not do what I do without a workhorse like the Manfrotto 3021Pro. The tripod is the one tool that should become second nature out in the wild. My Manfrotto 3021Pro can be configured in so many different ways.

It's been thrown into airplane baggage, dropped on concrete, tied down in wind, frozen, been covered in poop - you name it.

I HATE it and LOVE it.

03-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #25

Original Poster
will check out the site and try to kick it up on you tube ...Thanks
03-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice,I picked up a Benro Travel Angel carbon fiber ..used.Now I need a ball head for it...thinking of a Manfrotto...a light one maybe like the Classic. The Grip ball head may be too big ???Thanks !
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Tripods are one of those things that are worth searching out a camera store or electronics store that carries a decent camera and accessories section. Pictures in a catalog or online don't tell you much. It will have weight and size and other specs but will it be a hassle to work with? Heads especially. I want to actually see what I am getting. I backpack and xc ski and recently bought a Promaster carbon fiber tripod. Very light and sturdy enough for my uses. I have a Manfrotto 3 way head I'm currently using. I also liked the Vanguard models. They only had alumunium models in the store and that's why I opted for the Promaster. I paid around $160 with tax. I already owned the head which I used on my much heavier Quantaray tripod. You can notice the difference in weight right off in the store when picking them up. While I like my setup, it might not be satisfactory for someone else. It makes decisions much easier when you have a dozen set up in front of you to check out. I notice you're from the Adirondacks as I am also. Ray Supply in Queensbury has a very good collection of several brands in stock at prices very close to online retailers.
I'm from up around Plattsburgh...I will take a trip down to Ray Supply in Queensbury .as I have to go to Glens Falls shortly. Thanks for the heads up. BTW....I picked up a used Benro Travel Angel yesterday,Carbon fiber.Thanks Alot !
03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Picked up a Carbon Fiber Benro Travel Angel...used ...Thanks
03-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
This is my 3021Pro in action.

Notice that I am also using other Manfrotto bits and I am clamping to a leg. The red bit is the center post leveling head, and I have a slider attached.

3021Pro - It's a tough bad-ass tripod.
Great info...THANKS !!
03-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ LaurenOE

Are you aware, that these videos can be looked at in the US, but are blocked for many other countries?

For certain settings of your copyright, YouTube is not allowed to show your videos in many countries if you haven't an agreement with their domestic intellectual property rights administration. If someone tries to see these videos, he/she will get a message equal to this (it says "music" because this is a standardized message):
QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, this UMG-music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights.