Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

SDHC questions

Some elementary questions, but here goes.

I have a K5, KR, & Panasonic TS3. Can the cards be interchanged from one to another without formatting ?

I have a Transcend 8gb class 10. Every now and then it comes up "write error". ALSO it says in review cannot process movie. I have never shot a movie with it.

Do these cards have an expected life ? How can you tell if they are near the end of usage ?

Can a card that is not functioning properly damage the electronics of a camera ?

I usually delete the pictures on the computer. Should this be done on the camera using "format"?

I Have a Lexar 133x class 10. I know the class ten is a speed to enable the proper download in bust. What is the 133x (download when copying ?)

Thanks

Best Regards

John A.

03-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash memory does have a limited number of read/write cycles- it's usually around 100,000 for consumer products. So after you've formatted your card that many times, the memory itself will have worn out- but usually before then something else ends up breaking

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are getting occasional read/write error messages, I think the first thing you should do is format the card in the camera in which it will be used. If you continue to get errors, replace the card. Class 10s are pretty cheap these days. A bad card is highly unlikely to cause damage. The danger is lost images.

It is the subject of some debate here but I am firmly in the "delete by reformatting" camp. It is quick and easy and the card is then prepared for more photos by the camera in which it will be used. Others disagree. My take, it couldn't hurt and might help.

As Adam said, cards have a limited life but it is unlikely you have exceeded that life. On the other hand, other stuff fails, like internal circuits or connecting pins. If it doesn't work right, replace it.
03-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It might be some sectors or such are damage.
If there is nothing important on the card do a format (not the quick one) on the computer and see if it works after that.

There is no risk on damaging the camera... well maybe it might get stuck or something like that but the electronics are safe.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Flash memory does have a limited number of read/write cycles- it's usually around 100,000 for consumer products. So after you've formatted your card that many times, the memory itself will have worn out- but usually before then something else ends up breaking
Depends on the type of format.
If you do quick format or format in the camera then it doesn't write over any sectors so no wear that way.
Also read doesn't damage the sectors.

03-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Moving cards between cameras without formatting risks messing up file and or frame numbering, as the camera 'remembers' these numbers and continues from where it thinks it left off.
03-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Moving cards between cameras without formatting risks messing up file and or frame numbering, as the camera 'remembers' these numbers and continues from where it thinks it left off.
Panasonic will write them differently anyway so no problem there.
For the two pentaxs simply let them write away the files differently.
03-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to all. What does the 133x mean on the Lexar card ?

info is appreciated

John A.
03-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If you do quick format or format in the camera then it doesn't write over any sectors so no wear that way.
Is the FAT not on a couple of sectors?

QuoteOriginally posted by John A. Quote
What does the 133x mean on the Lexar card ?
A speed indication if I'm not mistaken; similar to 52x CD-R or 16x DVD-R etc.

03-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Is the FAT not on a couple of sectors?
On its own little partition, yes. It doesn't cause wear to the data area of the card. Same applies to a quick format on your PC though, no need to do it in camera (it's perfectly fine on Windows, I won't vouch for other OSes).

Real world difference is not much between deleting files and doing a quick format. Personally, I make use of the numbered/dated directories the camera creates, so when I do format, I recreate the DCIM folder and the most recent numbered one inside it, so that the camera goes on using them. Sometimes it's easier just to delete subfolders, so sometimes I do that instead. Never an issue either way.
03-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John A. Quote
Thanks to all. What does the 133x mean on the Lexar card ?

info is appreciated

John A.
It's speed and you can find on Wikipedia the list.
search for SD card and it will come up.