Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
I have a Sunpac Auto 131 I played with one night.
It can be fatal for a dSLR if you use old flashes on it. Always check the trigger voltage !! Either on the web or by measuring it with a high impedance voltmeter (digital voltmeters are high impedance).

04-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #17

enjoy the tamron

I also upgraded to a Tamron 17-50 2.8, from the kit lens. Similar to you, I am chasing kids (5, 3, and 1 yo). As much as the bit of extra light is appreciated(especially at the long end), I am really enjoying the constant aperture throughout the zoom range. The Tamron or an Pentax AF 50mm 1.4 are the two lenses that spend the most time on my camera. I imagine as the kids get older and run further away I will start yearning for something in the tele-range. I did get an inexpensive Vivitar flash, that has both manual and auto-ability, and am learning to use it with some pleasing results--but find I usually grab the 50, 1.4 rather than the flash.

Have fun with your new lens!
Nikki

Last edited by nikesta; 04-14-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Removed photos after realizing they had nothing to do with low-light performance.
04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nice.

I started playing with that old sunpak flash again but rather than mounting it i hold it in my hand and just aim it up. I definetly still want the Tamron for better optics but i can get used to placing a wireless flash in the room when shooting indoors i think.

Of course I'm no master of exposure yet....

04-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
how do i get the flash to fire on every shoot. the ready light is on the ambient light is low but no fire??? It seems to just fire when it wants to.

04-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Your camera probably has a will of its own as it is not aware of the flash. So it might choose a shutter speed faster than 1/180s and the flash will not be triggered.

In a nutshell:

Do NOT use auto iso; set it to e.g.200.
Aperture and ISO determine the reach of the flash; so use Av and keep an eye on the shutter speed (1/180s or slower); alternative is M mode with a fixed shutter speed so you don't have to worry about it. The camera manual contains the formula to determine the aperture (or calculate the maximum reach for a given aperture).

From the name, I assume that your flash is an automatic flash, so you must set the same ISO and aperture on the flash as what you use on the camera and lens. Next you're good to go as long as the subject is within the calculated distance. Subject should also not be too close; for modern flashes,minimum distance is approximately 10% of maximum distance; you must experiment a bit as it might be a bit more for your flash.

If it's not an automatic flash, the maximum flash distance is also the minimum flash distance.
04-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
was using M iso 400, F4-8 and shutter 125/180. tried several other settings and even tried red X thinking it would force flash. maybe the flash batteries are just wearing down. flash was on the M hole time. theres two A settings but i cant make sence of them. and i dont have iso 25.
04-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #22

FWIW, my flash will mount on my extension cord backwards and act weird, but after I realize my mistake and mount it correctly, it is fine. Have fun getting ready for the next birthday party.

04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
theres two A settings but i cant make sence of them. and i dont have iso 25.
Maybe this will help: Yahoo! Groups

It's for a film SLR, but that should not matter too much; I did not dig through the replies and leave that up to you.

I can not see a reason why it would not fire reliably with the settings that you use except for old age or if the trigger voltage is too high and you're slowly killing your camera. Did you check the trigger voltage?
04-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found this Voltages | DPanswers although tthe Sunpak Auto 131 is not on the list i can assume its around 200 volts. Lets Almost ten times the Pentax K 25 volt safety limit so that flash is getting pitched. I never used it on the hot shoe. Hopefully no damage has been done. Thanks guys, i would have destroyed the camera if not for this forum.
04-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a possibility that damage is already done. You have to wait and see; but if a new flash gives the same erratic behavior, the Sunpak might well have been the cause.
04-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
47 volts im getting at the end of the wire, when the voltmeter pin touches both contacts, the flash fires but not consistantly. i think the batteries are tired and that im not getting the voltage of new batteries.
04-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Although not sure, I don't think that 47 Volts has damaged your camera.

If the batteries are tired, you will have long charge cycles; as you state that the ready light is on, I don't know what's wrong.

A good flash without pTTL is not that expensive.
04-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I plan to get a set of Cactus V5's so i can set up a flash in the room, I would like to get a Metz 50, although i would probably be using it off camera most of the time, i still like the option of TTL.
04-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
was just on gadgetinfinity looking at the cactus V5's and they have a Cactus AF50. How's it compare to the Metz 50?
04-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

No idea; maybe better to start a new thread in Pentax Flashes and Lighting Technique - PentaxForums.com . This thread started off with a lens question, so some people that can provide useful input might not follow this thread.