Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you recommend a portrait photography book?

Hello,
I am looking for a recommendation for a "how-to" portrait photography book.
I bought "Photography People - Portrait Fasion Glamour"
It shows setups for the selected photographs, but is a little dated (published 2001).
Can you recommend a more updated book that shows setups and also lists specific data? ie focal length, aperture, flash power etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by bluebronco; 03-26-2012 at 10:12 PM.
03-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you interested in natural lighting, continuous of flash lighting, outdoor or studio.
I've seen many books and video tutorials over the years and most of the in depth ones seemed to focus on specific types of shooting styles.
03-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
For the most part, flash (flash gun) in studio and using natural light.

Thanks
03-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photography
Light, Science & Magic
are both good foundation books.

I'm confused by your use of the term "dated". Posing and light are constants. Gear may be different but the principles don't.

03-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
The illustrations are great, don't get me wrong, the majority of the shots are on film. It is just a little quirky. No big deal. I wish they were more specific on flash power. Maybe give a light sensor reading on each flash.

Thx for the suggestions
03-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

youtube is your friend
03-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
The illustrations are great, don't get me wrong, the majority of the shots are on film. It is just a little quirky. No big deal. I wish they were more specific on flash power. Maybe give a light sensor reading on each flash.

Thx for the suggestions

You wont find this - the one to give a light sensor reading on each flash. I have tons of book, and the bad ones shows the setup and result with no information. The okay ones shows the setup and result with f-stop and shutter speed information. The good ones also give the reasoning behind them. But one with f-stop reading i doubt you'll find. if you are lucky you will find one that gives you ratios.

If i were you, i would start from strobist Strobist: Lighting 101

Once you play around a little, then go to your nearby chapters and see if you can find a book that suits your need.

03-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you really just want detailed "specs" of studio set ups then have a gander at S.U.M. (Setups Mandatory) on flickr.

But keep in mind when you review these configurations that the flash power, ratios, and camera settings are tightly linked to specific equipment used, and the distances between each component of the shoot.

It isn't enough to know that a photo was made using AlienBee 800s at 1/2 and 1/4 power with 60" parabolic umbrellas and at 1/125s, f/13, ISO 100. You have to also know the angle to the subject, the elevation, how far each light was away from the subject, how far the subject was from the background, how far the camera was from the subject, etc.
This is why most texts are "vague" when it comes to the setups in their examples. They give you the general setup so you know positions, angles, guidelines for light ratios; but it is up to you to learn how your equipment needs to be configured to achieve the result they are demonstrating.

FWIW - when it comes to light, there really isn't any difference between shooting film or shooting digital. Using my K20D to make a "polaroid" to confirm ratios is handy. Then I proceed shooting film using the same settings, and know I'm dialed in properly.
03-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
I went to Barnes and Noble and thumbed through a few books. I found "This is Strobist Info: Your Setup Guide to Flash Photography"
It is chalked full of info. The first 19 pages basically go over all the different equipment that is available. The rest is a photo on one side and the break down of the photo on the other page. It includes equipment used, the settings the flash, the distance and angle and the camera info that includes ISO, F/Stop and shutter speed.

It is only $15.

Highly recommended.
09-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Ed Verosky

This guy has two ebooks on portraiture you can download from his web site. They are cheap and the first one in particular is worth reading.