Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
lens flare

Hi guys recently been taking some photos of waterfalls a few of the photos were affected by lens glare. Granted on some photos it does add a nice effect but what are the best ways of eliminating this problem. Thanks

03-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good lens hood is the most efective. Use your hand or even your body to shade the lens
if you must, and avoid using cheap filters.
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you post some photos for review?

Lens hood will help against glare from light sources on the edges. If you know there's a lot of light coming in from a side, you could even try standing to help reduce that light from getting to the lens. If you are talking about lens flare from light sources in the middle of the shot (the sun or something), that'll be much more difficult to work with
03-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi guys thanks for your feedback Welcome to Flickr! this is the link to the photo on Flickr I'm on my mobile phone at the moment at work so cannot upload straight to sight thanks

03-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

1) Don't aim into light sources.
2) Use a hood and/or your hand.
3) Be sure all glass is multicoated.
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
Hi guys thanks for your feedback Welcome to Flickr! this is the link to the photo on Flickr I'm on my mobile phone at the moment at work so cannot upload straight to sight thanks
Sorry, can you link the jpeg link? The flash is wonky on my computer.
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
Flickr

03-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

Original Poster

03-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It looks like out of frame (sun) light that is causing the flare. May I ask what lens you used? I can't seem to access the EXIF from the mobile flicker site. Searching your name has proven futile, unfortunately lol

Since it's out of frame light source, a good hood will do wonders in preventing flare. I assume you shot this while using a tripod?
03-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That kind of flare is usualy visable through the veiwfinder and easily sorted with a well placed hand
03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I suspect that this is a very cool & unusual phenomenon like a rainbow, caused by the sun's interaction with droplets in the waterfall. I'll bet that if the waterfall were not there the colored spots wouldn't be there either.
03-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hi guys the lens used was a Pentax 35mm f2.4 smc DA AL shot at 0.4 seconds out of hand the sun was out of frame to the right about 2oclock you can tell its shot from hand as the rocks and trees are slightly blurred :s from what you guys have said a good lens hood and nd filter should do the trick?
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The ND filter will help to reduce light for you long exposure shot; it wont help with flare. The hood will definitely help with flare. Stopping down helps with flare too, I think. I haven't gotten that bad of a flare before with the DA35 F2.4, but I do have a simple hood.
03-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yeh this was with no hood atall and come to think of it I think it was pretty much the only picture I shot with the sun in that position the rest were positioned so the sun was behind or way off to the left i think there was maybe one similar flared image from the same position due to the layout of the waterfall I couldn't get the sun behind me
03-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Yeah, this was with no hood at all...

There's your problem. A good hood can pretty much eliminate lens flare when the light source is out of frame. FYI, an ND filter may well have only compounded your problem...not solved it. Lens flare like this is caused by reflections on the glass elements of a lens. So, if you add filters, you're only adding more glass layers, thereby increasing your changes of having flare in your pic.