Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie Suggestion to buy body only or not

So I'm new to this forum, been on the market for a dslr for a few months. I knew pentax had a lot to offer for a good price so it's finally time to make the purchase. I am a car enthusiast, been building my Acura CL for about a year now, been on forums and I know how they work.

Anyways, I'm probably going to use my camera for car shoots, weddings, and some random nature/city shots for fun.

Now the question is should I buy the body only or should I buy the kit with the 18-55mm lens (i believe that's right)? Here's my reasoning:
$330 AR for the body only or $400 AR for the kit with the lens.

Thanks for any help

01-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What are your alternative lens options? The kit lens is very good for its price and very light weight. It and the DA 50-200 have served me very well. You can see some of my results with these two lenses at my Pentax Photo Gallery page [PENTAX Photo Gallery].

Here are a couple of examples from the DA18-55.

and one from the DA50-200

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 01-11-2008 at 04:44 AM.
01-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For the price you can't go wrong with the kit lens. It's a bargain at the $70 price and takes great shots. Look at the Pentax Photogallery premier collection (the best shots overall) and see how many of them were taken with the 18-55 kit lens.
01-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

awsome photos

atupdate...
those really are beautiful photos...
i just ordered my K10D with the kit lens and i was think i made the wrong decision but after seeing the stuff you've don't i'm sure i'll be happy with that lens as a starter lens.

i'm still trying to decide on the next accessory i should consider. another lens, a battery grip...
but i bet the best option would be a tripod.

Sprags

01-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
atupdate...
those really are beautiful photos...
i just ordered my K10D with the kit lens and i was think i made the wrong decision but after seeing the stuff you've don't i'm sure i'll be happy with that lens as a starter lens.

i'm still trying to decide on the next accessory i should consider. another lens, a battery grip...
but i bet the best option would be a tripod.

Sprags
Tripod, remote shutter release and a spare battery. Next is time to use them and learn what else you will need.
Brian
01-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grip is a really nice addition too, doubles the battery life with a spare battery inside.
01-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
The grip is a really nice addition too, doubles the battery life with a spare battery inside.
There is a grip kit available that includes the second battery and the remote F. I ordered it with my K10D and am very happy I did. The grip also will hold a spare SD card.

01-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It depends upon your the other lenses you are planning to buy.

The 18-55mm kitlens is hard to beat at $70.
However, if you are considering to buy the 18-250mm, don't buy the kitlens.
It covers the same range with comparable quality.
The 18-250mm has better macro as well.

- Bert
01-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Well, those pics in first reply say it all...
Anyway, for $70 you can't go wrong with DA18-55. It's not the best lens ever, but more than capable to produce great results...
But, again, if you want to have one, all-around, lens go for superzoom, such as suggested Tamron 18-250. If you're ok with max 55, or want to buy second (longer or wider) lens later, I think 18-55 is a great start to photography...
01-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #10

I went with the 18-250mm rather than the kit lens. I figured it was a better solution for me, along with the 50mm.
01-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been discussed at length in the lens forum also.

There is no right answer, only different answers based on each persons needs, wants, past equipment etc.

From your posting, it looks like you are new to pentax, therefore you will need at least one lens for your camera.

for the differential in price, you will probably not find a better value for the money, regardless of the perceived quality and build of the kit lens.

I have only taken, however, the kit lens twice in 5 camera purchases, because I have always used pentax or pentax compatible equipment, when I did take a kit lens it was because the lit lens gave me somethiing I did not have. That is my basic approach to buying camera equipment as a whole, each purchase has capabilities that are different,.

For you the first thing is how much do you plan to spend in total, over what time period, and do you want a "one lens does it all solution" or are you willing to accept multiple lenses.

If you want a one lens does it all, you might pass on the kit lens, and take one of the 18-250mm offerings available.

If you are willing to accept changing lenses, you will find the kit lens is a little wider, and covers better the general indoor and travel requirements, and you can get a superior (in terms of lens speed) second lens to go from the 50-70mm range up to the 200-300mm range.

I guess the other question is, are you also new to photography, or did you have another camera before? If so, when you used that camera, in terms of the lens(es) what did you find limiting? Did it go wide enough, did it go long enough, and would the 18-250mm satisfy the failings of that camera. 18-250 on the DSLR format would be equivelent to 27-375mm on a 35mm SLR.
01-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Even if you end up using something else most of the time, the kit lens is nice when you want something small & light. If you upgrade bodies later you might have an easier time selling it with that kit lens bundled. I rarely use it now but it's a bargain, covering the most frequently-used focal length range with generally acceptable quality and will help you gain the experience to decide what else you might want to use. On the other hand going with an 18-250, DA 16-45, or Sigma 17-70 aren't terrible ideas either-though all these are somewhat larger, heavier, and will set you back an additional USD $200-400.
01-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I am very happy with the kit lens. Maybe after a few more months of taking pictures I may want something else but right now i'm happy with the results. Just because its inexpensive doesn't mean its not a good lens.
01-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #14

Just to throw in another perspective, I opted to skip the kit lens and bought the 35mm f2. It is quite a bit more expensive, but gives me plenty of light to work with, is sharp as a tack, and gives me some really neat flexability with my depth of field. Also, by forcing me to "zoom with my feet" I tend to think more as I compose my shots. I expect I'll add a zoom before too long, but for me, having a good prime allows me to do a ton while I grow my personal style.