Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
I would also suggest placing a flash or 2 in the corner of the room with a remote and transmitter and bouncing the flash off the wall to the ceiling and back down to the baby. That's how I got these shots.
IF the hospital will allow it. Best to check and realize that if its a normal delivery then its more likely but if its a C-section then the odds are greatly against it.

04-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #17

Original Poster
lense

Dieberson..............theyre really captivating shots. If i can shoot half as good then i will be more than happy.
04-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #18

Congratulations to your family. I think before you talk about lenses and the like I would start practically.

(1) Have a conversation with your daughter. What kind of pictures does she want and how many does she want?
(2) In Canada, there is often a preregistration for birth at the hospital where they give a tour of the delivery room, etc. If you are allowed to attend or live near them then go. You will see the size of the room etc and you will be able to eyeball your options. Also, you will get firsthand info about whether you can use flashes or even photograph the delivery versus only after the birth (picture of baby, mom holding baby, etc.)
(3) Do you have a limit on what you are spending? If you are going cheap and lower light then stick with your 50 and look at the 35mm 2.4. Between the 2 lenses, I would think that you are pretty much covered although for more $ there are loads of other options as other posters have mentioned that truly are great. Personally, I have a FA50mm 1.4 and I would be going in there with that in my hospital, but I already own that and wouldn't go buy it since you have the 1.7. I also would be wary about spending a lot if it is only for this one time because people change in the midst of labour and pictures may be less appreciated... Or mom is going for C-section, etc.

Hmmm.... of course, you could get a few very unusual pics with a fisheye ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist, LOL!!!
04-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dieberson

what great photos and a beautiful baby! you must be very proud.
I don't do hardly any baby shots (the women prefer my wife to do them) but I can show you the beauty of window light,

unfortunatly the baby was sick that day and only have time for a couple of shots as he was crying a lot.had to work very fast and still didn't get the shot I wanted...
it isn't the subject that I would like to point out, but the power of window light and how it can "sculpture" (for lack of better term) a person to appear less flat then other forms of lighting.

good luck and show us the picks when you get them!