Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

lense for baby photos

Hello to everyone, I have a question......My daughter is to be blessed with a baby in August and i want to take some intimate shots of mum and new-born while still in hospital in a kind of portrait style. What lense do you reccommend and what focal length . My fastest is the SMC 50mm 1.7 but i do have a 2x converter, I also have two 70-200 4.5 and one up to 310mm@ 5.6 but im thinking that, without flash, they are no good. Please......any advice how to shoot this moment and make it memorable ?

03-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 35mm 2.4 AL = suggestion

Bonjour,

Great lens for the buck or pound ... see PF user ratings (9.27) - SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Autofocus, great IQ and fast enough ... what body are you using?

Salut, John le Frog
03-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd think the 50mm you have would be perfect for that, unless the quarters are too tight and you need something more like 35mm.
03-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FA 31 F1.9 if you have the money, wide enough to get mid-body shots so you will catch her with the baby. Renders beautifully from every shot I've seen of that lens.

03-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by billypip Quote
Hello to everyone, I have a question......My daughter is to be blessed with a baby in August and i want to take some intimate shots of mum and new-born while still in hospital in a kind of portrait style. What lense do you reccommend and what focal length . My fastest is the SMC 50mm 1.7 but i do have a 2x converter, I also have two 70-200 4.5 and one up to 310mm@ 5.6 but im thinking that, without flash, they are no good. Please......any advice how to shoot this moment and make it memorable ?
does the room have a lot of window light?
this is the best way to light a baby
I would go with your 50 1.7 but stop it down to around 2.8 as you don't want to get to shallow depth of field if you are in tight corners..it will be sharper at 2.8 if there is enough light
with a new born he/she will likely sleep a lot so you need good timing
If you have a monopod take that with you, it wouldn't hurt either

good luck
03-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

My advice: use a fast prime and do NOT use the flash. Mum and baby will be more natural without flash.

A 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 lens will be perfect IMHO. A 30-35mm lens would allow a wider shot of Mum and her baby. A 70-85mm would be nice for head portrait. But a 50mm is likely the best compromise and the most versatile. Your 50mm f1.7 lens would be excellent and combined with CIF (catch in focus) should give you great results and ease to use.
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Fast prime + natural light = better baby pics.

If price is no object then the Limiteds are your friend by all accounts. For tight hospital rooms the 31 would be better than even the 40 (trust me on the space issue in most Hospital rooms, there isn't nearly as much as you think).

If price is an object but you can spare a few $'s/pounds then the 35/2.4 is a sweet lens that far exceeds its moderate price in performance.

If you can't swing either because of cost then the 50/1.7 that you already have is a solid performer but may well be a wee bit tight in that space.
03-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
FA 31 F1.9 if you have the money, wide enough to get mid-body shots so you will catch her with the baby. Renders beautifully from every shot I've seen of that lens.
The 31-Ltd could be seen as an investment in the documentation of your new grandchild's life... Fast enough in lowlight to keep up with kids and renders beautifully...

I wish I had one!!

03-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
lense

thanks for all the great advice regarding new-born pics. John, I have the pentax istDL or i can go with film on the ME super . From all the input, and limited finance, I think the recommendation of the 50mm 1.7 stopped down to 2.8 will be the choice. Oh....hcc.., what is CIF ?
03-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Catch-In-Focus

Set the camera up for it, set the exposure and push the shutter release button fully (and keep it pushed). Start focusing or wait till the subject moves into focus and when the camera achieves focus, it will take the shot.
03-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'd advise to take only a couple good photos, not a bunch of snaps. Your primary function there probably shouldn't be "photographer."
Out of the ones you mentioned, the 50 sounds good for this.
03-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Last night, I used the 31mm when my sister-in-law wanted me to play official photographer at the hospital. I started with the 43mm (my current favorite) but switched. It was 8pm so there was no natural light but I have a K-5 so I didn't use the flash, either, and I'm thrilled I didn't try to do that with my old *istDS. Your 50 sounds good, and I second the no flash and natural light recommendation. Expect the hospital to be poorly lit.
03-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
lense

Thanks to all for the great advice. I especially like the pointer from Sterretje regarding CIF, i had no idea about this and have already been trying it out in my garden with resulting images being sharper than usual !! I have until August to practice the method and hopefully on the day i can shoot some good keepers. Seems to work with both A and M lenses.
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I brought the entire arsenal into the delivery room. Flashes, lenses, bodies....it was excessive but I'm glad I did it. I will say this, there is no way your going to get intimate shots of the mother and child moments after delivery. They look like and feel like crap and the results aren't going to be that good. However, you can get some great shots immediately at birth of the child. Here's a few I grabbed of my first son 1 year from today. We have another one expected in September. I've learned a lot from my mistakes so I can't wait to give it a go once again. My recommendation if this is not financial....the 31 and 43 ltd's with a 50 1.4
Here's a few with he fifty, seconds after birth.

03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would also suggest placing a flash or 2 in the corner of the room with a remote and transmitter and bouncing the flash off the wall to the ceiling and back down to the baby. That's how I got these shots.