Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
I always shoot in M mode (typo fixed). I meter for the ambient light, set an appropriate shutter speed for my aperture/ISO, and leave it alone until the light changes. Seemssimple enough. Whether the lens is AF or not doesn't play into it. I only hit the green button again to change my exposure when the light changes. As I said,i may at most click the thumb wheel on notch left or right if I am shooting a relatively light or dark object and don't want it to read as being quite as loght or dark as it actually is. Of course, I do have be careful about whether I'm actually shooting in the light or in the shadow - that counts as the light having changed.

Yes, if you use an automatic exposure mode, you will get different exposures for shots in the same light according to whether your subject is light or dark. I see that as a bad thing. In fact, it's downright terrible in concert photography. Why would I want my exposure different for one musician than another just because they are wearing different color shirts, or one is playing a black piano and the other a white drum set? Makes no sense at all.


Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 04-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 569
OK. I guess I understand what you guys are saying. I will have to try this and also learn how to use a grey card.
04-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
OK. I guess I understand what you guys are saying. I will have to try this and also learn how to use a grey card.
A grey card is handy but can be lost. Depending on your skin tone, you might get an adequate reading from your hand. That's one of my old tricks from Back In The Day when I only had film cameras with center-weighted (at best) metering.

Suggestion: Go to your local public library. Look through the photo reference books. You'll likely find some tech book with a grey page. Read off that page, and off your hand, and note the EV difference. Now you can be your own grey card!
04-04-2012, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
As I said, I use tree trunks and paved roads

04-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 569
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A grey card is handy but can be lost. Depending on your skin tone, you might get an adequate reading from your hand. That's one of my old tricks from Back In The Day when I only had film cameras with center-weighted (at best) metering.

Suggestion: Go to your local public library. Look through the photo reference books. You'll likely find some tech book with a grey page. Read off that page, and off your hand, and note the EV difference. Now you can be your own grey card!
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As I said, I use tree trunks and paved roads

Thanks for the advice. I think I will definately come back to this tread later get more info.
And for the op I hope I didnt highjack your thread and that we both have learned something from here.
04-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter
royden's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 262
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Thanks for the advice. I think I will definately come back to this tread later get more info.
And for the op I hope I didnt highjack your thread and that we both have learned something from here.

No problemo. I will do some more settings etc and report later. Peace.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, camera, pentax help, photography, pic, press, shutter, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keep K-x buy premium lens, get K-r and get good lens, get the K-7 w/ lens or K-5? crossover37 Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-06-2011 10:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top