Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

tamron 28-200mm focus problem.

I have a tamron 28-200mm 571d that seems to have an issue. It will not focus to infinity at 28mm (it has problems focusing to infinity up to about 50mm but works fine above that). Is there any adjustment that can be accessed easily enough on this lens? Does anyone have any idea where I could get a repair manual or a repair manual for any similar tamron?

Fyi, I just got this lens on ebay. The guy shipped it in a thin single layered cardboard box (not double walled corrugated cardboard like a normal box). There were no lens caps and the box was perhaps 1/4" longer than the lens. There were only a few small scraps of newspaper to pad the lens. He also shipped it parcel post when the listing said priority. Looking at prices at the post office, he saved maybe 16 cents. There was a very small piece of plastic in the box that looked like it was broken off the lens but I saw no external damage (shaped like a thin piece broke off the edge of a plastic trim ring or something). Obviously it might have broken off inside somewhere. The sad thing is the glass is in nice shape and the lens seems to function fine except that issue. I of course won't do anything to the lens till/if a resolution is reached with the seller that involves me keeping the lens. If I knew it wouldn't fail further I would keep it for the price I paid but who knows if it will fail further)?

I did find a thread here where someone else had a problem with the same lens reaching just short of infinity. Thats what made me think perhaps there was just an adjustment that got out of wack. I will most likely send it back (listing said no returns but it's broken). I would like to consider all options which is why I'm asking though. It was cheap (35$ shipped) and in decent enough shape with clean, clear glass (a little dust inside but nothing bad).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention. When trying to find a repair manual I did find a picture of the gear assembly for this lens and its scary looking. I have done a couple of full tear downs on manual focus lenses but I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to do it to this one. Thats why I'm looking to see if there is and adjustment with a procedure on how to do it. I'm not even sure where to look as it is internal focusing.

Last edited by ripit; 03-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.