Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Loose aperture ring on Super Tak 35mm f2

Hello all..I just got what I thought was a very nice 35mm f2 Super Takumar. The aperture control ring moves fine from left to right with sold indent movement but it also moves up and down within its chanel. I would say the ring has vertical movement of between 1/16-1/8 inch, making it feel sloppy. This can't be normal?...or is it. This is my fiirst Pentax legacy lens so I'm not sure if this is within specs for this lens.

I would love to keep the lens if this is normal/ to be expected but it was an eBay purchase so if it is going to be returned, I am up against the clock. The ring works fine and the aperture opens and closes smooth and snappy...BUT is this an indication of a bigger problem...a past repair? Please advise. Thanks

03-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You say the ring moves "up and down" - do you mean along the axis of the lens, towards the front & back? If so it should be an easy fix. On the SuperTaks the aperture ring is held in position by the ring just in front, that has the index mark and DOF scale. That ring is held in place with 3 small screws around the middle. If these screws have loosened, that ring could slip forward, allowing the focus ring too much room.
If this is the issue, get a set of fine screwdrivers and find one that fits the screws. Work over a clean surface so that if a screw falls out you can find it. You may need to loosen slightly, then slide the "index" ring back to hold the aperture ring more tightly. Turn the lens to the infinity stop, make sure the index mark lines up with infinity on the focus ring, and tighten the 3 screws.