Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SIGMA Zoom Master 70mm Multi-Coated 1:2.8-4 Lens - HELP!!

Hi all,

I am a total beginner in the DSLR arena and purchased my very first one, the K-5, a couple of weeks ago with the kit lens.
Wanting to expand my lens options ( as if I know what I'm doing ) I bought a vintage Sigma Zoom Master 35-70mm multi-coated 1:2.8-4 Macro lens.

Guess what? It doesn't fit my camera!! It seems as though the two tabs on the back of the lens are longer than the ones on the kit lens. The lens will not screw on and I have no idea what to do.

Please help.

03-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Was it advertised as a Pentax K- mount lens when you bought it??? Each camera brand has it's own mount/s.
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Calsan,

The auction stated that it would work with Pentax cameras. It did not specifically state that this had a K mount - actually, there was no specification as to what mount it was. I searched the forums and found a review on it here Sigma Zoom-Master 35-70mm, f2.8-4.0, Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database, which is why I purchased it and figured it would work on my camera as well. This is the exact lens that I just purchased....
03-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, first be aware that Sigma is a third party lens manufacturer so they make lenses that fit many different cameras. Your lens should specifically state what mount it is for although it might be a little tricky to figure out their codes. Pentax mount lens should usually have "Pentax P/K", "P/K", "PK", "R/K" or something vaguely similar on it somewhere.

If it is indeed for K mount then the other thing to be aware of is that some older film era lenses had flanges that stuck out too far into the mount and now will not fit on modern cameras because they hit the power zoom contacts. This is more prevalent with Vivitar lenses but possibly that is your problem. If so it can usually be fixed by either removing the flange or grinding it down to size.

But first make sure the lens is intended for Pentax. Look for the markings, and if you want, post pictures of all of the writing on it and of the mount itself, someone will tell you quickly what mount it is.

If you want to post a link to the auction the pictures there might tell us enough.

03-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well, first be aware that Sigma is a third party lens manufacturer so they make lenses that fit many different cameras. Your lens should specifically state what mount it is for although it might be a little tricky to figure out their codes. Pentax mount lens should usually have "Pentax P/K", "P/K", "PK", "R/K" or something vaguely similar on it somewhere.

If it is indeed for K mount then the other thing to be aware of is that some older film era lenses had flanges that stuck out too far into the mount and now will not fit on modern cameras because they hit the power zoom contacts. This is more prevalent with Vivitar lenses but possibly that is your problem. If so it can usually be fixed by either removing the flange or grinding it down to size.

But first make sure the lens is intended for Pentax. Look for the markings, and if you want, post pictures of all of the writing on it and of the mount itself, someone will tell you quickly what mount it is.

If you want to post a link to the auction the pictures there might tell us enough.

Hi,
Here is the link to the auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGMA-Zoom-Master-70mm-Multi-Coated-1-2-8-4-Lens-w-Bag-No-Reserve-/130667333895

In my previous post, I included the link to a review of this very lens. I just want it to work, because its a really nice lens.

Thank you for your help!
03-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

OK, that looks like a Konica mount to me, although it might also be Minolta. Anyway it is not Pentax. If you read the auction listing carefully it does not say anywhere that it is for Pentax although the word Pentax is mentioned along with a bunch of other camera brands.

You might be able to get a return but for what you paid you will just be throwing good money after bad because you will have to pay shipping back. Red flags all over that listing. It is deceptively worded, the seller has very few sales, if you look at his other items at least one says it is for Minolta, none of the items are Pentax, and the price is too low and hardly any bids. Not saying he was trying to defraud, very often sellers have no idea what they are selling.

If you are going to buy used lenses you need to study up a bit. Never trust a listing, particularly if they have a low seller number. Remember they may know less about what they are selling than you do. Third party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Vivitar, and many, many others) are made for many different mounts so you have to really make sure it is for your camera. If it is a Pentax brand lens you can be generally sure it will work but even Pentax has made a number of different mounts (M37, M42, K, 645, 6x7, Auto 110) all of which you will find at auction. All of those except the Auto 110 can be made to function on your camera with adapters but it may not be worth the effort if you just want to take pictures. Stick with K mount until you know more.

K mount lenses also come in a large variety. The earliest is called K series but they do not say that, just Pentax SMC. The next is the M series, then the A series, then the F series, then FA series, then DA series. DA is what came with your camera, F and FA will function just about the same as your kit lens, earlier ones have less functionality (M and K are all manual, A is manual focus but auto aperture).

Here is an good article by RioRico about buying used lenses. He may chime in here as well, it may be possible to convert a Minolta to work on Pentax and RioRico is the source for how to do that. Not something I would want to do though.

If you want to get a 35-70mm lens for your camera buy this one it is auto-focus, auto-aperture, very sharp, easily found for about $50-75 on auction sites. Lots of us have it just as a spare because it fits in your bag and weighs next to nothing.

And if you are in doubt, please just ask here, somebody will tell you the straight story.

Last edited by jatrax; 03-29-2012 at 09:53 PM.
03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Jatrax,

Thank you so much for the information you provided. I guess I learned my lesson!! At least I didn't shell out too much money for it.
Really, i bought it because of this review (and of course it was cheap): Sigma Zoom-Master 35-70mm, f2.8-4.0, Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database.
This is exactly how my lens i bought on Ebay looks, so I figured I wouldn't have a problem.
03-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The review is probably truthful, and that might be a great lens. Its just that the lens was made in numerous mounts, at a guess: Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Konica, Minolta and possibly others. If it had been a Pentax K-mount you would have gotten a great deal.

I have no idea what your experience as a photographer is, so please don't take this amiss, but are you sure you want to learn to use an all manual lens? It is not at all like your kit lens. You need to set your camera on manual, determine the aperture you want, take a meter reading and set the shutter speed and ISO to match. Then manually focus. Which is not as easy in a modern camera as it was in film days because the viewfinder is optimized for auto-focus lenses, not manual focusing. If that's what you are looking for, great, and you will find lots of help here, but if you want auto-focus and to be able to use the auto modes on your camera you need to stick to F, FA or DA lenses.

If you are interested in manual, take a look at the Takumar Club thread and see what those folks do with lenses that are 30 plus years old.

And if you see another auction listing you are interested in post it here and ask about it. Or PM me and I'll take a look. There is an enormous selection of camera lenses out there and it is easy to get something that doesn't work or is of poor quality.

03-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #9

Original Poster
I dont have much experience at all with lenses and DSLRs - this is my first one. I just have a real artistic flair when it comes to photography and I know what I like to see.
I don't mind the whole manual focusing thing, I think it's quite "organic". I read somewhere that the Pentax k5 was backwards compatible with old lenses and there would be no problem finding a vintage lens to connect to the camera (maybe I should have purchases a vintage camera! ). This would be a great benefit for those on a budget or those who can't afford right away to buy the more expensive Auto focus lenses. Cue in my ebay search and the Sigma.

I'll check out the Takumar Club as well.

Thank you so much Jatrax for all of your help!! Not sure what I will do with the lens now, but I will definitely message you BEFORE i do any other purchasing!

thanks again.
03-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FenderGirl Quote
I read somewhere that the Pentax k5 was backwards compatible with old lenses and there would be no problem finding a vintage lens to connect to the camera (maybe I should have purchases a vintage camera! ).
Take a look at the lenses in my signature, none of them are younger than 30 years. All manual everything. When I first started with Pentax, Takumars were dirt cheap, $5 - $25. The price has risen each month and now some of them are ridiculously expensive. But you can still get prime lenses at very good prices of a quality that would cost you thousands today if you went for auto-focus. And those are all M42 mount. K-Mount is a little harder to find real bargains with but they are out there.
03-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #11

Original Poster
Wow! Interesting. I've learned so much since my original post! Oh and I contacted
the EBay seller, he is going to refund my money - including shipping and said to not worry about shipping the lens in return.
My first and hopefully last mistake with lens buying.