Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

where is the best/cheapest place to buy film & light meter question

well i just go my first film slr camera recently and today i got everything i need besides film and i also have a question about the battery for my k1000's light meter.

so first off what's some good beginner film im under the imression 200-400 iso film is pretty good for all around shooting. i want to do some b&w photography as well as color so i want to try some b&w film and i wont be developing my own film. are there any good cheap b&w films that i can get developed at any 1hr photo centers? what color films should i be looking for?

and my other question is about the light meter on my k1000. i bought a battery from walgreens today and its an energizer 357/303 silver oxide and at the bottom right of the packet it came in it says it replaces LR44 and A76 as well as some others. did i buy the right battery? i looked it up and i thought this was compatible. i ask this because normally my k1000 without a battery the light meter stays in the middle at all times.
when i put in the new battery and set the iso to 100 and the shutter to B to test the battery it stays at + . but when i change the shutter speed to any other settings it still constantly stays all the way at +
am i making a stupid mistake? does the camera need film to test the light meter?

also i guess one last question is when loading film i know you have to be careful with light so its good to not do it in direct light. but i know once you open the door the roll count gets reset and is less than zero. so do you advance the film until the red arrow lines up with the red line on the zero or do you advance it until the first tick mark after the red line on zero? thanks

all help is greatly appreciated

03-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #2

Original Poster
anyone? sorry to bump my own thread but i really wanted to go and get some film tomorrow
03-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Around here Walmart still carries film, and for a first trial the typical Fuji 400 would be fine. I use it for testing cameras, but prefer the more expensive Kodak Portra for best results.
There are B&W films that can be processed like color at photo centers, but I haven't used them. Processing B&W is quite easy, and I've used Tri-X for 50 years...
When loading the film, wind the shutter once with the back open to make sure the film is winding correctly and that the sprocket teeth are through the holes in the film. The K1000, like most film cameras, winds the take-up spool what looks like backwards, so that the film wraps more completely around the sprocket, which is what really controls the film feed.
Once all is feeding correctly, close the back, trip the shutter, and wind and trip until the counter shows "0" - that frame will typically be usable, so try it as your first shot. Since I use a lot of cameras and take several films in for processing, I usually take a "mirror shot" to show the camera, so I can tell which film came from which.
The K1000 light meter (which does not need film loaded to work) reacts to both the lens setting and the shutter speed setting. Make sure the lens is properly mounted. Work the aperture ring back and forth a few times in case the potentiometer contacts are dirty, then open the apeurture all the way. Make sure the "+" side of the battery is toward the cap. On my K1000, indoors, set at 100, lens wide open, the needle starts at full + at B and after several faster speeds begins to move down in steps. It responds to both aperture and speed.
03-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

You mentioned that you got your battery at Walgreen's, some Walgreen's carry Kodak BWCN400 it's a black and white film that can be processed at any 1-hour lab, it comes in a black and yellow 3pack box. As far as consumer film goes Walmart carries Fuji and Walgreens carries Kodak each has their own character try each and see witch one you like best. Kodak BWCN400 is a very forgiving film when it comes to exposure latitude so it's hard to really mess up with it. As far as you're questions about the K1000, below is a link to the camera's owners manual hopefully you'll find what you need. Good luck

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/535_1314745097-1859806433_manual.pdf

03-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I tend to use Fuji-superior-400 for everyday shooting... I get my negs processed and scanned onto disk and find I don't need to do anything in terms of post-production as I do with images from my digital SLR...
Sometimes use Ilford XP2 B&W too... Prefer the Fuji though...

I'm currently looking for a 800/1600 speed B&W film for night/lowlight shooting so if anyone has any suggestions (sorry if this hi-jacks your thread chris*) ?
03-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I tend to use Fuji-superior-400 for everyday shooting... I get my negs processed and scanned onto disk and find I don't need to do anything in terms of post-production as I do with images from my digital SLR...
Sometimes use Ilford XP2 B&W too... Prefer the Fuji though...

I'm currently looking for a 800/1600 speed B&W film for night/lowlight shooting so if anyone has any suggestions (sorry if this hi-jacks your thread chris*) ?
haha no problem! im planning on doing the exact same process for developing. do you have a local store or where do you go?. i think i might go back to walgreens and maybe pick up some film there.

and my light meter on my k1000 seems to still be stuck all the way on +. how hard is it to judge exposure and what not? i kind of want to go out and just shoot without the light meter but i dont want to be wasting my film.
03-31-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chris* Quote
do you have a local store or where do you go?.
I'm UK based... Normally use a small independent place in my city (Bradford) called ProAM who are fantastic... But have been known to use Jessops (big chain here) 1 hour service and had no problems... C41 printing seems to be a fairly 'standard' process...
Thought about developing my own colour negs and then scan myself... But advice on the forum was to 'not bother' and the 'expense for a good enough scanner is huge'...
03-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Kodak portra handles low light situations rather nicely it comes in 160, 400, and 800 ISO. If you need more speed you can push the portra 800 to 1600 (underexpose by 1 stop) and still get good images with normal processing.