Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pixel Peeping

Have pity on me photography friends! I shot D70 and D80 for years, finally acquired a better job sold the old rig, and now I find myself so neurotic over this descision! It has made me the proverbial "pixel peeper", finding myself freezing on add to cart buttons. I was set on the K-7 ages ago, finally got the money, a big purchase for me, wanting to be set up on a systema nd I find myself second guessing between this and Sony. Worried about Pentax's market share and sell off to Ricoh and what it means for continued support, mounts, and company longevity. i suppose I can just sell off later, but... maybe there are some friendly words of advise that can help sooth mind or I have not considered?

03-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh's purchase of Pentax is a 'good thing'. There have been many positive signs of progress since the take over and several new models released as well as press statements to the effect that they're in it for the long haul.

Check out the news page for the last few months, especially the new lens road maps:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/
03-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just koto give you some confidence in the product. I have 4 DSLRs, all Pentax starting with the *istD bought in November 2003. I still use that camera, although I am only shooting 1-2000 shots per year with it. I also have a K10D, a K7D and a K5D. Except the K5 which is relatively new, all my other cameras have each taken more shots than I took with film in the proceeding 20 years. If you buy now, you will shoot for a long time, and get good use out of your camera. I wouldnt worry about it. Look at Minolta users, Sony bought the company and is rapidly going no where with it. Although Sony is good at doing that, dust look at how well they carried the Walkman into the digital era
03-30-2012, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I heard Pentax was on the way out when I bought my ME Super in 1982!!! I'm still happily shooting my K200D with some of those old lens'

03-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Go ahead and buy Pentax. You will be glad you did. The greatest thing about Pentax is, there is no guessing as to which lens will work on your camera. If it says K-watever, it will work on your K5, K7 or whatever you buy.

With the screw mount to K mount adapter, you can put screw mount lenses on your camera too.
03-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sony has far more problems since they don't even make DSLR's anymore, they are only making those DSLT (translucant vs reflex) cameras at the moment...
You're better off with Pentax in this case.
03-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what answer you expected, asking that question on a Pentax forum.

The Ricoh purchase has been widely heralded as a very good thing. It provides Pentax with a parent company that has capital, marketing and business skills Pentax badly needed. The previous owner (Hoya) made many bad decisions, IMHO, that hurt. Ricoh has made no secret in their announcements that they want to take Pentax to a new level and compete with the big brands.

I do not think you can go wrong with any of the brands today, all of them make cameras that are better than most photographers. Making the limiting factor the photographer, not the camera. More important than the camera is the lenses you have and your skills. The differentiation with cameras is more with ergonomics right now, I think. Which camera fits you hand better. Pentax DSLR are smaller than most and some folks with big hands may find them too small. But if I have to carry a camera all day, small is very good.

And if you are buying used, which I assume you are with the K7, then what are you worried about? If you do not like it, sell it back. If you buy right you might even make a profit.

As noted above the K-mount has a huge history of good glass and you can get some real gems for very little money compared to other brands. And you do not have to worry about whether it fits.

03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I do not think you can go wrong with any of the brands today, all of them make cameras that are better than most photographers. Making the limiting factor the photographer, not the camera. More important than the camera is the lenses you have and your skills.
<...>
As noted above the K-mount has a huge history of good glass and you can get some real gems for very little money compared to other brands. And you do not have to worry about whether it fits.
Yes, good cameras are available from all makers, as are good lenses. One consideration: What lenses are available, both new and legacy? Nikon owners are pretty much restricted to buying Nikon-mount glass, except that some medium format lenses can be adapted. Pentax owners have access to vast quantities of screwmount and PK-mount lenses, and some other mounts (including Nikon) can be adapted or modded for PK use. Canon owners can (and do) adapt even more lenses for their cameras. That's why we whine about Canoneers stealing our Takumars!
03-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I expected exactly this. I figured if I asked this question here, I would get the answers i could not seem to find on my own and a reassuring tone. I've spent days researching and reading forums and have gotten better and more pinpointed advice in this thread than all of that combined!

no i think i'm picking up the special on the K5 with the 18-55 on BH, which i could find it with that 55-200 but oh well! Good as place to start as any.
03-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think I just needed to, calm down...
03-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It would seem the above image speaks to a contradiction, but my final concern is this which i keep hearing and this in particular is from Adorama : Not for action shots
03-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by urville Quote
It would seem the above image speaks to a contradiction, but my final concern is this which i keep hearing and this in particular is from Adorama : Not for action shots
Hi, try take a look at this thread - then you can decide for your self

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/115277-k-5-sports-photography.html

I would say that the K-5 is definatly up for the job!
03-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

K200D in the overcast and rain today! It can be done. Has anyone at Adorama actually tried?

03-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you! Oh no! This price ends today at midnight, uh oh!
03-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Your Welcome! Enjoy your new camera and don't get frustrated when it doesn't get the shot right out of the box. Learn your camera and how it reacts to situations. This past week has been a learning curve for me with my new DAL 55-300 using auto focus. Previously I was using and old manual 70-300 zoom so I had to learn how my camera and this lens interact. Once I figured out the size of the center AF point my shots got a lot better. I was trying to take shots over fencing. If the fence got too high in the picture the center AF sensor would pick it up and cause the camera to focus on the fence instead of the car or plane I was trying to photograph. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots with your new toy!