Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

What is this switch(?) thing?

Sorry I'm a noob, just wondering what that thing I circled is, I noticed only Film cameras (and the Leicas) Have it.

Attached Images

03-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know that the thing on my Super ME is the timed shutter. Cocking it fully gives me 10 seconds to run in front of the camera, and cocking partly gives me 2 seconds.
03-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I know that the thing on my Super ME is the timed shutter. Cocking it fully gives me 10 seconds to run in front of the camera, and cocking partly gives me 2 seconds.
Cool never would have guessed that. Thanks for the reply!
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW! THis took some research, but this is the explanation from the M9 operator's manual:

IMAge FIeLD SeLeCTOR
The image field selector (1.8) expands the possibilities
of the Leica M9 viewfinder. This built in universal
viewfinder allows you to activate bright-lines at any
time, which do not belong to the lens currently being
used. You can then see immediately if, for composition
reasons, it would be better to photograph the
relevant subject using a different focal length.
Moving the lever outwards, i.e. away from the lens,
shows the image field limits for 35 and 135mm focal
lengths. Moving the lever to its vertical central position displays
the image field limits for 50 and 75mm focal lengths.
Moving the lever inwards, i.e. towards the lens, shows
the image field limits for 28 and 90mm focal lengths.

See the link:

http://us.leica-camera.com/assets/file/file_5723.pdf

Page 132 & 133

OK Pentax, let's see this in the next K3 or K1!

Regards,

03-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good guess, but on Leica rangefinders the self-timer was on the other side of the lens, and they dropped it by the M6 model, which put the battery and light-meter circuit where the timer mechanism was.
That lever under the viewfinder is the frame "preview" lever. When you look through an M-series viewfinder, there is a frame that outlines the field-of-view for the lens that is mounted. The lenses select this automatically by mechanical linkage. If you are using a 50mm lens and wonder what view a 35mm would have, you use the preview lever to see the 35mm frame. M cameras have 3 different sets of frames, but on modern versions show 2 at once, so the positions show 35&135, 50&75, or 28&90.

Dave beat me by a couple minutes while I typed...
03-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I guess it's very very different on the Leica!

But that should be true since the M9 is fully digital.
03-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess it's very very different on the Leica!
But that should be true since the M9 is fully digital.
But the great thing about the M9 is that I can use it identically to my M6 film camera. Controls (shutter speed, shutter release, lens focus and aperture) all in the same location, the lenses all work the same, etc. I sometimes use a Leica lens from 1941 on my M9! Makes switching between film and digital very easy.

03-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
But the great thing about the M9 is that I can use it identically to my M6 film camera. Controls (shutter speed, shutter release, lens focus and aperture) all in the same location, the lenses all work the same, etc. I sometimes use a Leica lens from 1941 on my M9! Makes switching between film and digital very easy.
That's good thinking on Leica's part!
03-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

hat's good thinking on Leica's part!
At the price they come in at you'd expect it to be well thought out!!
03-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
WOW! THis took some research, but this is the explanation from the M9 operator's manual:

See the link:

http://us.leica-camera.com/assets/file/file_5723.pdf

Page 132 & 133

OK Pentax, let's see this in the next K3 or K1!

Regards,
Why? Bright line frames in the viewfinder are only useful on a non-reflex optical viewfinder. In an SLR, the viewfinder automatically changes to match the lens being used, by the simple fact that the viewfinder is displaying the same image that the sensor/film sees.

This option would make no sense on an SLR.
03-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Why? Bright line frames in the viewfinder are only useful on a non-reflex optical viewfinder. In an SLR, the viewfinder automatically changes to match the lens being used, by the simple fact that the viewfinder is displaying the same image that the sensor/film sees.

This option would make no sense on an SLR.
And would make absolutely no sense with a zoom lens attached
03-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The useful part is that the viewfinder on a Leica M shows a good area outside the frame lines, so you can see things about to enter the frame, or how re-framing would improve the shot.
I used to shoot hockey and footbal with an M2 Leica, and loved it for that purpose.
Now if Pentax were to put an MX mirror, prism, and finder on a K-5 so we saw the larger field, then gave frame lines showing the sensor area, we might have the best of both.
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The useful part is that the viewfinder on a Leica M shows a good area outside the frame lines, so you can see things about to enter the frame, or how re-framing would improve the shot.
I used to shoot hockey and footbal with an M2 Leica, and loved it for that purpose.
Now if Pentax were to put an MX mirror, prism, and finder on a K-5 so we saw the larger field, then gave frame lines showing the sensor area, we might have the best of both.
Interesting. I agree that this would be a useful feature, but would it be physically possible? It would certainly require an increase in the size of the camera. The prism would need to be larger, certainly. I don't think that it would need to be a full MX (24 x 36mm) screen, but one that was a little larger than the aps-c sensor, say 20 x 28 (aps-c is 16 x 24). That's 20 percent higher and about 16 percent wider than the sensor.

The push seems to be smaller and smaller these days. Would Pentax even consider doing something that would require a larger mirror (probably), a larger mirror box (possibly) and a larger screen and prism (certainly)? A larger mirror and/or mirror box would be hidden inside the camera, although it might force an increase in the external size. I'm worried that the necessarily larger prism would spoil the aesthetic design of the camera, by making it look top-heavy.

It took a long time to get them to provide a 100% viewfinder. What you're asking for is, essentially, a 125% viewfinder.
04-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my point on the feature being useful is for prime lenses. Say you have a 35mm lens on the camera and you want to see how the image would appear with a 40 or 50mm lens, then you flick the switch and bingo, you have the crop indication. Certainly with a zoom lens this is not necessary but with primes it could be a nice little tool. If the larger FoV was included, going to a wider FL would also be possible. Let the engineers figure out HOW to do it!

regards,
04-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I thought it was a timer too