Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Dropped camera - Help

Hey all. I'm a little pissed off at myself right now and I need a bit of assistance.

I was was about to leave my office when I grabbed my K200D from the desk and it slipped, falling to the floor. The fall was of about 2.5ft unto commercial carpet. I automatically pick it up and check everything out...nothing seemed broken. Then I go to turn it on and the no battery indicator flashes and it does not power on. I remove the battery grip, check the batteries on the unit, and then go to turn it on and not even the indicator flashes...completely dead.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the possible damage and if it can be repaired?

Thanks a million!

03-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like something must have broken inside- but it could always be something small. The best thing to do would be to send it in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh there is definitely something broken...

Now the low battery indicator comes on the camera without the battery grip but still no power...so the issue is minutely better. I just hope it does cost a metric ton (in comparison to buying a new camera) to repair.
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got the camera to finally turn on - It was, interesting.

I took out the batteries, unhooked the battery grip, took off the lens, reseated it, shook the camera (for potential loose parts), everything could be done I did. Still nothing...

...Until I shook the camera saying "Murphy goddamn it I cannot afford to fix this frelling thing...".

It powered on. Tested it, turned it on and off. Powered as though nothing happened. That was yesterday.

Today it did not turn on at first... then I powered the grip first and then the camera turned on. Tried it again with the grip off and it turned on fine... so the problem is now intermittent. It's as though a cable inside loosened up from the battery to the toggle that helps the unit turn on.

what do you guys think?

04-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, for me, anything that has to do with a device's power source i'd rather have an expert check on. It's risky checking the insides without the right knowledge and tools... especially if it seems to have something to do with how the electricity goes around inside.

you could wait for more expert advice from other people who know more here
04-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #6

I've got a couple of non-Pentax batteries for my K20D, and one of them *sometimes* is dead. Shake the camera and it works. At first I suspected the camera, but after mixing up the batteries between two bodies and a grip I discovered that it is that particular battery that is the common factor. Whether that's something internal to the battery or maybe the contacts I didn't bother to find out - I discarded it.
04-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a k200D, and I love the camera, but it is only worth ~$200-250 on the used market. I do not think it would be worth sending it in (however, I do not know what normal repair costs are, wondering if anybody else could comment).

The fact that it powers on intermittently makes me suspect that there is a loose connection somewhere (i.e. cracked solder joint??? Or a loose wire like you suspected). Since the camera is not worth much, I would open it up and see if there was anything obvious (perhaps poke around with a multimeter a bit). The worse case scenario is that you wreck it and go purchase another used one for $250 (or use it as an excuse to upgrade).
04-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really sounds like something is loose. I doubt you could depend on the camera as it is. I had a similar problem with my K20D. It cost me about $150 to have it fixed. I did end up with a thoroughly clean camera, though, which works perfectly.