Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 vs Lens?

Hi, I know... It's another K5 vs thread. This time I need your help guys, this is the last day for the K-5 instant rebate. And I was wondering If you were in my position and have $500 would you sell your k7 and get a K5? or would you just invest on some lenses? I'm thinking of getting an F 50 1.7 and a DA* 15. Right now my main lenses are the M 501.7, DA 35 2.4 my just acquired M 85 f2 and my FA 28 - 105. what would you do? Time is running out for me.

03-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How long do you expect to keep a camera before 'upgrading'? Can you afford regular upgrading? Do you need the K5s features? If you're not happy with your K7, get the K5. If it works for you, get some lenses.

You must decide all this yourself. I can give my story: I got a K20D because it seemed the best for price-performance at the time, and I expected to feel no need to 'upgrade' anytime soon. I'm happy so far, with nothing to drive me towards Kx-Kr-K7-K5-K01.

But if I'd *needed* video and better ISO etc, I'd have looked for another tool. The K20D is all the camera I need right now. If you need a newer platform, go for it!
03-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd get the lenses. There is nothing wrong with the K7.
04-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My opinion on this is really does the k7 meet your needs. If you find that it is insufficient and you need the extra upgrades from the k5 (iso video) then upgrade. But do not upgrade just because spec wise it is better.

I've been using my Km for the last 3 years and found that even though Kx and the Kr are better I don't need those features 80% of the time and I've saved myself from getting a new body and invested in some glass which I found better then the standard kit lens

04-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't go for the K5, as you all said the k7 is a very capable camera. My only gripes with it is the low ISO capability. My first dslr was the k-r and it has awesome ISO performance. But I guess this time i need to learn what the k-7 is fully capable of, push it and then see from there if I will be needing to upgrade. I plan on getting myself some flash and radio trigger to combat the low ISO performance, and then get the DA* 15 & F 501.7 or the Tamron 28 - 75 and maybe the sigma 10 - 20. To be honest I still don't know what to do, all I know is I won't be getting a k5(For now)
04-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-5 is two stops better in low light than the K-7, but you can easily pick up those two stops with a 50mm 1.4. Faster glass may be the old fashioned solution to low light, but it works.
04-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
go for the lenses now and the K3 when it comes out. Just buy ff lenses!

regards,

04-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys (:

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
The K-5 is two stops better in low light than the K-7, but you can easily pick up those two stops with a 50mm 1.4. Faster glass may be the old fashioned solution to low light, but it works.
Thank you sir, I'm thinking of getting myself an FA 50 1.4

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
go for the lenses now and the K3 when it comes out. Just buy ff lenses! regards,
Does this mean to stay away from DA lenses (:?
04-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

buying the lenses designed for ff will give you the ability to use the ff resolution to its full capabilities, but if you get a great deal on the DA lens, go for it! Just understand that on the ff sensor the image will be reduced in resolution (pixel count and crop).

regards,
04-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
buying the lenses designed for ff will give you the ability to use the ff resolution to its full capabilities, but if you get a great deal on the DA lens, go for it! Just understand that on the ff sensor the image will be reduced in resolution (pixel count and crop).

regards,
Is it going to be like the d700 reducing the images to 5mp D:?
04-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

according to the specs listed so far, more like 12mp, so about half. Still a respectable resolution for digital and keeps your lens inventory from becoming obsolete.

Shoot on!
04-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you sir! (: It's time for me to save up then!
04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
according to the specs listed so far, more like 12mp, so about half. Still a respectable resolution for digital and keeps your lens inventory from becoming obsolete.

Shoot on!
What specs? Isn't the K-3 an April Fool's joke?
04-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, but we live in hopes! They have to announce something new soon! Maybe they are just ramping up production on a FF so when it is released they'll be able to keep up with demand!

Hope springs eternal!

Regards,