Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #1

Memory Card Error Pentax K10D

Hello everybody,

My Pentax K10D has a memory card error.
A new memory card of the same brand (Sandisk) or a different brand (Kingston and Panasonic) did not work.

I got the advice to update the firmware (now version 1.0). I formatted the memory card of Sandisk and downloaded the firmware (version 1.31).
The file .bin I had to put in my root directory, which i guess is the main folder of the memory card with DCIM(?).
After I put it in my Pentax K10D, and turned it on while holding the MENU-button. Nothing happened, it just showed me the latest firmware version (1.0)

As I don't have alot of experience with forums or cameras i really hope to get your help about how to solve my ' memory card error'-problem.

Thank you!

04-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your camera isn't reading the card, it won't load and install the firmware update. Try to re-format a card in the camera. If you get an error trying that, especially on different cards, your camera probably needs a trip to the repair shop. You could try a camera reset also. It's the last choice in the set up menu.
04-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Aswell with the formatting as with resetting the camera; i got the error displayed. It wont do a thing...
04-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I suspect that you have dropped your camera sometime recently - the printed circuit board connected to your memory card breaks off.
Happened to me - so I know the problem!
There is no economic fix for this unless you have lots of experience in an electronic repair facility, I opened up my camera confirmed the problem, recognized the dilemma and bought another camera.

04-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dutch_Member Quote
Hello everybody,

My Pentax K10D has a memory card error.
A new memory card of the same brand (Sandisk) or a different brand (Kingston and Panasonic) did not work.

I got the advice to update the firmware (now version 1.0). I formatted the memory card of Sandisk and downloaded the firmware (version 1.31).
The file .bin I had to put in my root directory, which i guess is the main folder of the memory card with DCIM(?).
After I put it in my Pentax K10D, and turned it on while holding the MENU-button. Nothing happened, it just showed me the latest firmware version (1.0)

As I don't have alot of experience with forums or cameras i really hope to get your help about how to solve my ' memory card error'-problem.

Thank you!
I'm not sure I understand. Did you put the xxx.bin file in the DCIM folder? If so, that is your problem. DCIM is a folder in the root directory. The .bin file must also be in the root directory. It must NOT be in the DCIM folder, or any other folder.

If you put the .bin in the DCIM folder, then that is your problem. Move it to the root directory and try again.

Don't forget to make sure your battery is fully charged.

Hope this helps.

Paul Noble
04-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello Paul,

Thanks for your post.
No, I didnt put it into the DCIM folder, but in the root directory in which the DCIM folder is also located.
I guess I have to send it for reparation...its gonna cost between 80 and 100 euros, so thats okay.
04-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There is one other possibility, although it is not very likely.

I don't mean to be insulting or condescending, but are you sure you downloaded the correct firmware upgrade? Could you have possibly gotten the upgrade for the K100D.

Are you sure you extracted the update file? The file that you download (k10e131w.exe) is a self-extracting zip file. You must run this program to extract the update file, which is named FWDC162B.BIN. It is the latter file that must be placed on the memory card.

If you're doing all that correctly, then I'm afraid you're right. The camera may need to be sent for repairs, although I'm not sure how the camera could format the card and create the DCIM folder, but not read the update file.

Does the camera work properly and store images normally on this card? Do you have another card that you can try?

One last long-shot. Its not an SDXC (>32GB) card is it? The K10D does not support SDXC.