Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photography Games For Kids

Futher to my previous thread where I've already had help from Cooter, joe.penn, wombat2go, dgaies, jatrax and others... (Thanks again guys!)

I have recently purchased a Pentax *istDS for my 8 year old...

I hasn't arrived yet and he has no idea...

The plan is to give it to him on his Birthday treat at Donington in a couple of weeks at the Dunlop Touring Car Championships (although his Birthday was in fact a few weeks ago... He did get presents!!)

That day is no problem... He's crazy about cars and will be happy as Larry to be able to photograph as many as possible... I'm going to to take him to get prints afterwards of his 10 best shots so he can decorate his room with them...

Plus he can do his PP with is grandad (he has his own laptop at their place anyway) who is pretty much housebound through ill-health but a computer wizz, so I win serious brownie points with the Missus and Mother in Law to be!

Just wondered if anyone knew of any photographic games or challenges for other days out (Nat-Trust - Eng-Heritage - walks etc), suitable for an 8 year old... ?
Maybe a book on getting kids as hooked as their dads are? (on photography!!)

(and me and theMissus... K-x and FujiHS10)

He will have 2 lenses (FA35-80 & FA80-200) to use with the *istDS to start with... (I have a whole bunch of manual 50's and 28's I'm happy for him to abuse as well as he gets more confident)

Cheers
Dave

04-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 of my 3 kids have fell in love with photography my oldest who is now 17 has my old K-x and my 14 year old has my old K-m we enjoy just taking walks in our local state park just looking for things to take pictures of. My 14 year old says she is going to start a pic a day for 365 tomorrow will just have to wait and see if she will stick to it.
04-03-2012, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have him do the letters of the alphabet and numbers zero through nine.
04-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Have him do the letters of the alphabet and numbers zero through nine.
That's a good one!
I could do a score card (like golf... or Bingo) for that!

04-04-2012, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
Match Game- you could start with a word on a card, such as car, and have him take a photo of a car.

If he is into cars, he can start an album of favorite car photos (or his other interests)

He can start an album of his friends, set up somewhat like a yearbook.

Just incorporate photography into his other interests.

Then just the basics such as same object but change f-stop, long exposures, etc

On outings, set up a scavenger hunt scenario. Make a list and have him find and photograph the items on the list.