Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #1

Embedding Copyright

Hi Everyone.
Can anyone PLEASE PM me with a step by step guide (ie 1. 2. etc) as to how to embed my Copyright Holder name into photos which I forward onto various club websites and to friends. I have set the camera okay that's not the problem, it's the software that I don't understand. I have sent various photos via E-Mail but apparently none have the Copyright Holder name embedded into them, yet the Image Data in the software for all the photos which I have taken clearly shows my Copyright Holder name.
Hope that you can understand my grammar.

Software:-
S-SW110 by Silkypix. Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4

04-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The camera can embed the copyright info into the EXIF data, but it does not watermark the picture itself. To do that you need third-party software.

Free Watermark Software
04-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you looking to add a copywrite line into the image itself?

There is not much you can do, unless you deliberately put this across the entire image, as it can always be edited out.

if someone wants to use the image without credit, they will.

One of the best ways to protect against this is to post in low enough resolution that it is not useable.
04-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think it's about 'watermarking' as that would not be stripped.

So if it's indeed about the EXIF: email clients might strip the EXIF data if you allow them to resize the images. That might be your problem. Resizing can be done in SilkyPix (or other software).

In SilkyPix, resizing can be done when you save the image (I seem to remember that there is an 'advanced' or 'options' button in the dialog.

PM is not the way to go; everybody can learn from it if it's posted here

04-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

just as a quick check, I looked at my image processor (Corel PSP X4) it allows for electronic and visible watermarking. the electronic watermarking is done through an outside subscription that stores your look up data etc.

visible watermarking is done through layers that are then compressed flat when the image is saved.

the bottom line is that really, regardless of how you watermark the image, if you find one that has been used in part or in whole, someone has violated your rights. if it is a publication, if their internal pohotographic use policy does not require them to validate the image they receive, by either looking at imbedded wtermarks or exif data, then you should consider them neglegent, because they have not made any effort/due dillegence to ensure they are using legally aquired image