Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Uv filter on 40mm pentax DA lens

I tried out my new Pentax DA 40 mm 2.8 pancake lens with a UV filter. I took a shot of my dining room table with a strong back light coming thru my venetian blinds and noticed that I picked up some thin blue bars that appeared to come from a reflection from the blinds. A second shot showed the same. I removed the 49mm UV Tiffin filter and snapped the picture again with no filter. The bars were no longer there. Anyone else had this experience?

04-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Anyone else had this experience?
Yes, which is why people don't use filters without some needed effect. UV protection is not one of them.
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Also any other form of protection is questionable with the DA40 because the lens hood offers a lot of protection for this lens.
04-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Also any other form of protection is questionable with the DA40 because the lens hood offers a lot of protection for this lens.
WOW! My thanks to both of you. That raises the question: Have filter companies been selling us a bill of goods as to the necessity of filters? I can see perhaps needing a polaroid or neutral density at times, but others? I see where you can by a UV filter from one company that charges $350!

04-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A UV filter, of good quality, is great for protecting a huge exposed element of an expensive lens, especially in dusty/sandy conditions. That is about it.
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No those filters have an effect.
With digital UV, Haze and whitebalance filters become so good as useless. The coating on the lens already cut down UV and also the protective filter in front of the sensor cut UV and IR light and white balance can now be done in camera.
As for protection around the time of WW2 most lenses where quite soft or their coatings so a protective filter was a smart way to protect the lens, for several decades now most lenses are treated with an extra hard protective coating so scratches and such are much less likely and so the extra protection of filters is questionable some swear by it while others don't use them any more.
04-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I sometimes wonder if the people who use a "protective" filter on their lens also wear a helmet when outside :-) There is the same, or worse, risk involved.
04-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use one in the dust, rain and sand. The filter, not the helmet.

04-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OTTSY Quote
WOW! My thanks to both of you. That raises the question: Have filter companies been selling us a bill of goods as to the necessity of filters? I can see perhaps needing a polaroid or neutral density at times, but others? I see where you can by a UV filter from one company that charges $350!
UV filters served a useful purpose with film, and presumably still do. But the filter companies really aren't to blame for selling them to DSLR customers - after all, they are not even present when you are buying your DSLR. It is the camera salesmen who are to blame, since they are usually the ones pushing the filters. UV filters are the DSLR equivalent of he deluxe floor mat package for your new car, the extended service agreement on your new TV, the extra stain-guard treatment on your new sofa, etc. They provide a way of padding the profit margin.
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
UV filters served a useful purpose with film, and presumably still do. But the filter companies really aren't to blame for selling them to DSLR customers - after all, they are not even present when you are buying your DSLR. It is the camera salesmen who are to blame, since they are usually the ones pushing the filters. UV filters are the DSLR equivalent of he deluxe floor mat package for your new car, the extended service agreement on your new TV, the extra stain-guard treatment on your new sofa, etc. They provide a way of padding the profit margin.
Makes a lot of sense, Mark. It's only logical to think, buy an expensive lens, better get an expensive filter, right? I'm sure if someone came out with a UV filter ensconced in a platinum or 24 karat gold ring- profile or "slim" of course- there would be a market.
04-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Filters will only hurt the quality so if you've a high quality lens the better it is to leave it off.
Look at insurances, maybe you can find a good one for a nice price.
04-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
Banned

I've seen lens' of various types (from only three hundred to about 10K - a Leica with a f0.9) that have received significant damage to their front element - or worse.

Then again - after the results... Some photographers still try to adapt to any damage on the front of the element; or just plain disgard the lens all together. Yet in the case of the one Leica lens observed damage - guess what - it was basically turned back into Leica and repaired for a fee, but still well worth it.

Sure I also very much admire the optical quality of my lens', and am also aware of how most any filter can take away from that. Also out of some almost thirty years of professional photography I've only run into a few instances where the filter has actually really effected the final copy results.

I guess it would depend on the cost of the lens, also if the lens might be a rare one. But for me I would rather protect a majority of my lens collection
04-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Hi

You hit the nail on the head.

Camera sales staff know instinctively when they deal with a person sans photographic knowledge. Just hang around a busy camera store, put yourself within ear shot of the counter and listen to the sales staff delivering their sales spiel. You will cringe with disbelieve.

UV filters are always being sold at inflated prices to make up for discounts on cameras . It is easy, just mention sand and salt on the beach and explain that even just a brief encounter with these two nasties will turn a lens into a piece of useless junk. It sounds sooo plausible and in the end the prospective customer will literally beg to be sold one.

I am wearing glasses and my many visits to the beach have, up to this day, not yet sandblasted my spectacle lenses "translucent". In fact my two year old spectacles on my face are exposed to the elements day in day out and nights as well. They show very very little signs of wear. And they are not anywhere as hard as camera lens glass is. (They are made from plastic) And I have not heard anybody suggesting I should put some sort of protective filter in front of these. So why should camera lenses be any different, particularly the modern ones with some having extra hard protective coatings. (See PENTAX SP Coating).

Today in the digital world there are more UV filter sold then during the days of film when UV filters actually made sense. Somebody had a clever marketing idea.

My PENTAX 60-250 has this SP coating. I am using it constantly, including pretty trying condition like shooting kitesurfers at the Gold Coast all day long. I have stopped putting the lens cap on this lens for more than 2 years ! Never use it anymore. All my other lenses ? Well I put the cap on if I remember. There is not a hint of a scratch on the front glass of any of my lenses ! I swear !

Occasionally I put filters on my lens, but only if photographic conditions requires this. Like CP or ND grad filters.

Greetings
04-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Occasionally I put filters on my lens, but only if photographic conditions requires this. Like CP or ND grad filters.
Yep, this is it. Oh, and I hear some lenses need a filter to be weather resistant.
04-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Weather resistance? first time hearing that one.
I know that some coatings on filters like MRC on B+W repel water so in the rain the drops will not "stick" to the lens, same as the SP coating on some of the modern DA lenses.