Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #1

Tips for newbie shooting video (with K-r)

I've done my first video shots with K-r and Tamron 17-50mm/F2.8.
Video inside the house is quite noisy and grainy. Seems that there's only settings for 720p/VGA and video quality */**/*** . Also you can fix aperture.

Is it so that "shutter speed" is locked in video and ISO number is automatically fixed by camera by scene's light and aperture? So, for better quality you should always shoot with largest aperture? Then there's narrow DOF and focusing is harder.

Is there way for auto focusing with video?

04-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus during video is sadly, not something featured on any Pentax DSLR(Yet) - In regards to the noise though, lower aperture helps, but as you mentioned, the DOF gets remarkably tiny when your lens is wide open.

Easiest solution I can suggest would be to invest in a video light that mounts to your shoe. Would make it more bearable indoors for most videos anyways. There's a few LED arrays that are fairly cheap, can usually find them at stores with good selections of cameras.
04-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you really need AF, you can get a K-01. But manual focus during video is much preferred, and looks more natural.
04-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
If you really need AF, you can get a K-01. But manual focus during video is much preferred, and looks more natural.
Yeah, manual focus is enough for me.

Video quality is what I'm looking for. K-r shoots 720p but I don't think that's the reason for grainy video.

I tried with lens wide open @ F2.8 and also dimmed with 2 apertures --> F5.6. With F5.6 indoor our wooden floor looked like running ants on it, much noise. F2.8 was clearer. Daytime shooting, it wasn't dark at all.

Have to try outdoor also.

04-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I didn't think anybody without a Canon 5D used video on a DSLR?!?
04-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I didn't think anybody without a Canon 5D used video on a DSLR?!?
Surprising as it may seem, that actually happens.

(Maybe I didn't get the joke...)
04-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

(I think perhaps you did...)

04-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
(I think perhaps you did...)
Great then.

PS How are the feelings about the GH2 kicking 5DIII video butt?
04-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
Is there difference in video quality between programs that you watch your videos? I've imported videos to Mac iPhoto and watched them with Apple Quicktime. Seems that there is more noise in other K-r videos that I've seen in internet.

I have Tamron 2.8 lens and have used its widest aperture outside (and tried F4 and F5.6 outside). Feels that video quality isn't that good it should be. Color saturation is quite poor compared to still photos.
04-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Easiest solution I can suggest would be to invest in a video light that mounts to your shoe
This is actually a pretty good idea... Video lights are (or at least can be) really cheap too and don't necessarily have to be hotshoe mounted (ie, used off camera) as the shoe doesn't normally have any contacts - just an on/off switch - giving lots of creative opportunities...
Pay a bit more and you get a controllable lightsource...