Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Tom & Jack................. Will give the contacts a clean as you have suggested today. Hopefully we nailed the issue as it was a weird one.

Yes Jack, I do go outside, was just convenient to quickly take photo to show problem (as it was dark outside).

I got the Pentax K10D camera as I was doing an outback Australia trip. Later in the year I am going to Europe (I am currently learning how to take good photos of the Northern Lights when I am in the Arctic Circle).

Here is a photo I recently took of Sunset in Australian Outback Floods............

Last edited by Chook; 04-08-2012 at 02:56 PM.
04-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shot! Is this HDR by any chance?
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Great shot! Is this HDR by any chance?
I had to Google to understand what HDR stood for (I am only a newbie) & no. The RAW photo was a little dark.,I just used picasa to lighten it up a bit but not lose the colour.

Last edited by Chook; 04-10-2012 at 04:36 AM.
04-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hope you got the problem solved.
the only thing I could suggest is in the menu there is an option to lock exposure with the auto focus. my wife's k100 was acting weird and it seemed to help the problem. try either undoing this setting or the opposite if it is already set. I believe there is also a setting that you can control the amount of time the exposure is locked. try to change this setting if all else fails... could be worth a try

good luck
one more thing, is the firmware the latest?

04-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
hope you got the problem solved.
the only thing I could suggest is in the menu there is an option to lock exposure with the auto focus. my wife's k100 was acting weird and it seemed to help the problem. try either undoing this setting or the opposite if it is already set. I believe there is also a setting that you can control the amount of time the exposure is locked. try to change this setting if all else fails... could be worth a try

good luck
one more thing, is the firmware the latest?
Thanks for the tips. Good to hear someone experienced something similar. Yes I updated to the latest firmware, at one stage I thought it may have caused this so was considering rolling back the firmware to a previous version.

I will need to look at these setting anyhow, I am currently learning how to photograph the Northern Lights (trip to Rovaneimi Finland in December). From what I have read to date I will need to lock the focus and control the exposure ( I also need to find a faster wide angle lens than my Pentax 18 -55mm F3.5 but I might run a separate post on that)

Cheers,
Arhtur
04-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chook Quote
Thanks for the tips. Good to hear someone experienced something similar. Yes I updated to the latest firmware, at one stage I thought it may have caused this so was considering rolling back the firmware to a previous version.

I will need to look at these setting anyhow, I am currently learning how to photograph the Northern Lights (trip to Rovaneimi Finland in December). From what I have read to date I will need to lock the focus and control the exposure ( I also need to find a faster wide angle lens than my Pentax 18 -55mm F3.5 but I might run a separate post on that)

Cheers,
Arhtur
sounds like a great photo shoot!
BTW you can just overwrite the firmware before rolling back to see if it helps
04-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #22

Original Poster
Still getting used to my camera, lens that came with the camera (Pentax 18 -55mm F3.5) and my old manual lens from my Ricoh XR6 but here is a couple of shots that I think worked out quite well:

Last edited by Chook; 04-12-2012 at 11:44 AM.
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Broken links?
04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #24

Original Poster
Broken links?
Thanks......... Hopefully fixed now
04-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yep. Keep up the good work.
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
Yep. Keep up the good work.
Thanks......... I am really enjoying the move to Digital SLR.

I feel I am learning a lot quicker even though the camera is more complex.

There are a number of reasons so far that I think contribute to this:
  • The ability to see the image directly after shooting it. (instant feedback)
  • The ability to review your days work on a computer large screen (see trends in what works and what doesn't)
  • The EXIF data capturing all the details of the shot (you can better analyse those settings against the trends above)
  • The digital editing software (I usually try the "I am feeling lucky" setting. It tells me when I got a good shot as there are little to no changes it makes. If it makes changes I can use this to see what changes it makes then analyse what I should do next time to get it right when I initially shoot it)
What I have learned in the last 2 months just playing with my Digital SLR would have taken many years of dedicated effort to learn with my film camera.

Last edited by Chook; 04-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
04-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I totally agree with you. Digital is much more accessible for those who want to learn. Lots of data plus instant gratification, what more could we ask for?

The digital editing software (I usually try the "I am feeling lucky" setting. It tells me when I got a good shot as there are little to no changes it makes. If it makes changes I can use this to see what changes it makes then analyse what I should do next time to get it right when I initially shoot it)
One little tip: Don't let your editor override your style. Presets will only get you so far, it's just the software designer's best guess at what will work. It's good to experiment and find your own way to tweak your shots, too.
04-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
One little tip: Don't let your editor override your style. Presets will only get you so far, it's just the software designer's best guess at what will work. It's good to experiment and find your own way to tweak your shots, too.
Thanks............I totally agree........ take the sunset flood shot above. The "I am feeling Lucky" setting lightened it up and I found it was less dramatic than the original.

Unfortunately it changed the image above and saved.

Fortunately, I took a few more shots and I didn't make the same mistake.

Here is an original image ...............Is it just me or does this one evoke more depth & drama ?

Last edited by Chook; 04-14-2012 at 05:12 AM.
04-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Is it just me or does this one evoke more depth & drama ?
Indeed. It's all subjective, of course. I tend to like darker, moody shots, but some people write them off as underexposed. It's all about your intent, there's very little right or wrong. If something people might perceive as technically sub-par gets your vision of the shot across, go with it anyway.
04-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #30

Original Poster
Here is the same image just cropped to show the more colourful aspect of the original photo.