Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Question on Memory Cards

Hi,

I'm looking to get a memory card for my K-R because I'm worried that my Class 6 Panasonic 8gb and Class 6 Sandisk Ultra 16gb cards will be too slow for the K-R on video mode or when shooting raw. I was looking at some class 10 memory cards on Amazon but a lot of the reviewers were saying that the class is just a hoax and we should look instead at the read/write speeds which unfortunately aren't displayed at most of the product pages. So, could anyone recommend a memory card for the KR? ?

04-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Dont buy memory card on Ebay, many are fake
04-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The reviewers that said that were mostly wrong. The standards are minimums so there are cards that are faster in a class than others. Generally, a known brand like Transcend, SanDisk, etc. will adhere to the speed standards. When in doubt you can google for reviews that analyze that specific cards real world performance. Class 10 is the fastest that the K-r can handle and does make a difference over slower cards for video and to some degree bursts of RAW photos.

There is real problem with counterfeit SD cards on eBay so I also urge people to spend a little more and buy from an established seller like Amazon, Adorama, or B&H.

I use SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards as they max out the K-r and K-5 ability to write to the cards. I've gotten them from each of the sellers at various times for the lowest price among known retailers.
04-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have two SanDisk Class 4 cards and have never had any trouble with video or burst mode with the K-x. YMMV.

04-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just ordered 2 more Transcend 16gb class 10, less than 5 min ago to have spares for my K-5 and K-x. I have been using one on my K-x for a year and a half without any problems. They are a very good deal at less than $15. And as others have said stay away from Ebay when it comes to memory cards and batteries. Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC10E: Electronics
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I use SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards as they max out the K-r and K-5 ability to write to the cards. I've gotten them from each of the sellers at various times for the lowest price among known retailers.
Glad to hear it - I ordered 2 of these today from Adorama:
SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - Class 10 SDSDU-032G-A11
Seems to be a good deal, plus I ordered by clicking through the PF links. See details here -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/101329-do-you-buy-ador...taxforums.html
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slappyfin3 Quote
Hi,

I'm looking to get a memory card for my K-R because I'm worried that my Class 6 Panasonic 8gb and Class 6 Sandisk Ultra 16gb cards will be too slow for the K-R on video mode or when shooting raw. I was looking at some class 10 memory cards on Amazon but a lot of the reviewers were saying that the class is just a hoax and we should look instead at the read/write speeds which unfortunately aren't displayed at most of the product pages. So, could anyone recommend a memory card for the KR? ?
I purchased a 16gb class 10 recently at Costco as it had an automatic $5.00 discount at the time. I also have class 6 cards. The 10 definitely sped up my K-5vs ability to write to the new card.
04-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

Hi everyone:
I bought a 16 gb Transcend Class 10 SD card for my K-x at the time I purchased the camera in January 2011. So far, it has worked flawlessly. I am around 15K shutter actuations with this combo including video recording; never had an issue. By the way, I bought the card from one of Amazon's vendors.

Norberto

04-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slappyfin3 Quote
I'm worried that my Class 6 Panasonic 8gb and Class 6 Sandisk Ultra 16gb cards will be too slow for the K-R on video mode or when shooting raw.
You should have no problem with a good class 6 card... I personally only use Sandisk Extreme's...
04-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I use the Lexar Professional from B & H. They had a special 2 32 gigabyte cards and the same for 16 GB cards. Made them real cheap, don't know whether it is still on, but they are great cards in my K5 and haven't slowed things down at all. I use a generic 32 GB in my POV HD bike mounted recorder and it runs real fine. I think it is a class 6.
04-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The class standards are the minimum speeds of the cards. All manufacturer are to adhere to therefore a class 6 card must run at class 6 speed no slower. However some of the more known brands have produced cards that do run faster then expected though branded as a lower class.
04-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
The class standards are the minimum speeds of the cards. All manufacturer are to adhere to therefore a class 6 card must run at class 6 speed no slower. However some of the more known brands have produced cards that do run faster then expected though branded as a lower class.
The sandisk extreme III that was rated class 6 was such an example.
Class 10 didn't exist official at that time so....

This also shows how meaningless the class ratings are when over class 6 ,the gap between class 10 and the next class is also just ridiculous.
they go from 2 MB/s 4, 6, 10 to 50 MB/s