Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto-bracketing Issue

I have a K-7 and shoot in RAW. When I shoot auto-bracket using 3 shots, I have no problems. When I use 5 shots, I find that the last one is often delayed. It's not a long shutter speed - it can happen on a bright day. Is this some kind of memory buffer problem, a delay in getting that fifth picture into memory? If so, is it fixable?

04-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using the expanded dynamic range setting? That might slow things down.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have it set on 100-400.
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are you shooting JPG, RAW or JPG+RAW?

An easy way to test if it is a memory problem is to start with the smallest file type - low quality 6meg jpeg (or the equivalent on a K-7 as I have a K-5). If the problem disappears, keep bumping up the file size and see when it first appears. That would give a sense of whether it is a buffer or memory card problem. At least I think this should help...

04-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shooting RAW only.
Good idea, will try a few low quality shots and see if the problem goes away. Do you notice this problem with your K-5? I'm thinking of moving up soon.
04-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

It isn't often that I shoot bursts of 5 when bracketing, but I have shot rapid sequences of more than 5 images without problem. This may have been when I was using JPG rather than RAW, but even now, I don't think I have problems with bursts, although there can be a long lag at the end of a burst as the buffer is cleared.
04-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've noticed a similar issue with bursts. I will check this out as well with the same test. I'd be surprised though if it turns out you can't burst more than 4 images when using RAW. Seems like that would be a major design flaw. Or it could be a bad SD card, I need to check that as well using a different card.
04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Are lens corrections on?

04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I always leave that on by default.
04-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Yes I always leave that on by default.
Turn them off and see what happens.
04-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Turn them off and see what happens.
Bingo. I switched off lens correction (and chromatic aberration to boot), and the problem disappeared, both in bracketing mode and in burst mode. Thanks very much! Will turn those off permanently.
04-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

Well spotted Wheatfield. I've never tried turning them on, but as soon as I saw your question I figured you were on to the problem, as I recall that those corrections do slow down the camera quite a bit.
04-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have either of you noted that the lens correction (or chromatic aberration) makes much difference? Can PP just get rid of the problem, if there is one, anyway?
04-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By the way, I've noted a lot of Canadians on these pages. I wonder if Pentax is more popular up there, and/or better marketed? Seems like almost a secret brand down here in the states. You won't see them in many camera stores, and not in any newspaper ads either.
04-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
MSL
Pentaxian

I only bought mine in January, so I can't give you much history. What I was told by my dealer is that the Pentax reps/distributors were making a big push into Canada late last year and early this year. Whether that is true or not, it was clear that the rebate/discounted pricing hit Canada well before it hit the US, and also seemed to end here sooner. At one stage the pricing got pretty aggressive with Henry's offering a K-5 with kit lens for $999.

I know there are a lot of Canadians on the forum, but it may also be that this is a friendly place to hang out, which is why we congregate here.