Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Beginner's Lens suggestions

Hi guys,

Noobie here, I've just joined here for some advice.

I've had a K-x and 18-55mm kit for about 1 year now. I was initially happy with it but found the quality to be lacking.

Recently, while cleaning out my attic I found my Dad's old Pentax ME 35mm camera and also a Tokina 35-105mm manual lens w/ macro focus ring.

After taking a few photos with this old lens, the optical quality looks way better than the stock lens it has great DOF and bokeh, as seen below:

I have also bought a DA 40mm XS on the back of the great reviews of the ltd. (Sure enough it is by far the sharpest lens I have used)

My question is do you think between the DA 40mm and Tokina MF zoom lens, I will be ok to cover most situations? Obviously the Tokina lens can only be used wide open and also I am slooow at manual focusing (hopefully this will change with practice!)

I really dont want to use the kit lens since finding the Tokina as pictures look so much better! I've not really been out with the 40mm XS but I'm hoping this will be my walkaround lens.

Thanks for any help!

04-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #2

Original Poster
sorry above links not correct, see below:

www.flickr.com/photos/kwan_c/7057293019

www.flickr.com/photos/kwan_c/6911192766

Last edited by kcisonfire; 04-14-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: links not working
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with the kit lens was that it was pretty good at the wide end and not so good at the long end. I think your kit looks like a nice start. If you want to do wildlife, you might need a longer lens, but for basic stuff, I find that I use the 17-105 range almost exclusively.

Why can the Tokina lens only be used wide open? If you put your camera in M mode, it will stop down for you.
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your pictures still aren't working. But if you are finding any noticeable at all in the pictures from the 18-55 versus an older manual zoom, chances are the problem is not the lens but in something about how you are taking hte taking the pictures. There is virtually no possible way that lens is better than your kit lens, and even if it was the one of the *extremely* rare older zooms that is, there is no way you'd be able to see the difference in anything less than a 100% crop.

As for covering most situation, no way would I want to leave the house (or even take many pictures here in my house) with a 35mm lens as my widest.

04-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There are obviously many options, but a good example would be to get an A24/2.8 (or possibly FA, F or even A 28/2.8), an A50/1.7, and an A100/2.8 (non-macro) or Cosina 100/3.5 macro (available under many brand names in AF or MF). Of the many lenses I've had and sold, the A24 is one lens I sometimes think it would be nice to still have, despite the fact that I've got a nice FA28 and FA20.

I still have all the other lenses I mentioned here, except the F28/2.8.
04-14-2012, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Get a manual fast 50, so f/1.7 (cheap), 1.4 (M is cheap, A less so) or 1.2 ($$$) and you'll be able to take a whole different kind of photo.

A lenses are easier to use than the older M/K versions, which make you work a bit harder and think a bit more (which can be a good thing).
04-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There is virtually no possible way that lens is better than your kit lens, and even if it was the one of the *extremely* rare older zooms that is, there is no way you'd be able to see the difference in anything less than a 100% crop.
According to the two user reviews on this forum, the Tokina 35-105 is one of the better old MF zooms. And although computer design has improved the quality of modern zooms more than primes, the 18-55 is still a $50 kit lens. Most constant f/4 or f/3.5-4.5 zooms are quality lenses that will beat a cheap f/3.5-5.6 (1 1/3 stop variance!) kit zoom any day.

Sure, the Pentax 18-55 is better than Canon's kit lens, but unfortunately that's a rather low standard. That makes it decent, not great.

Kcisonfire, I highly suspect your father knew exactly what he was doing when he purchased that Tokina lens.

Now that the links are working, I see a beauty in your photos that I recognize - it definitely comes from that old Tokina glass. I suppose Instagram is fun, but you have the real deal!

Last edited by DSims; 04-14-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo
04-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Or Less?

Hello Kcisonfire, Welcome to the Forum!
If you eliminate the kit lens, your widest lens is the Tokina zoom at 35mm and your longest lens is the Tokina zoom at 105mm. So, no, that isn't enough of a focal range for most situations.
Add to that reasoning the fact that what's called "The Digital Factor" makes the 35mm end of the zoom come out like 52mm, and you're seriously lacking in the wide-angle department.
For the time being, and perhaps the forseeable future, you could find a couple of standard/ wide primes.
Or, you could try a wide-angle zoom. Ideally it would cover the wide-to-medium focal length, be auto-focus, support the many shooting modes your K-X is capable of, and be sharper than the kit lens.
Although some may disagree, I believe the DA 16-45mm f/4.0 (constant) is this lens. You can usually find it used for under $300.00 and the new price is under $400.00.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-16-45mm-F4-Lens.html
Then, you can start looking at telephotos longer, faster and having more auto features (and be sharper) than the Tokina.
JMO
Ron

04-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I bought the DA 16-45mm for my brother and it's almost stuck to his camera, with the exception of the 70 limited, so I guess that he really likes it.
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice guys.

From my understanding, using a manual lens (unless it is an A lens) means you cannot control the aperature? The K-x only displays 'F- - ' even in manual. I only have control of the shutter speed and ISO, therefore restricting me on DOF?

After reviewing my pictures I do believe that the images are a lot sharper than pictures taken with the kit lens.

I'm not flush at the moment and it took a lot of deliberation to buy the 40mm XS lens, so I don't think I'll be buying any lenses in a while. I guess I'll just have to live with these three lenses for a while.
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There are popular fast kit.lens replacements from Pentax, Tamron, and Sigma, in the 16|17-45|50mm range. Any (if affordable) will likely satisfy most of your snapshot needs.

My original K20D kit contained the DA10-17 fisheye, the DA18-250 superzoom, and the FA50/1.4 Fast Fifty. Adding a Tamron 10-24 ultrawide, these are still my most-used lenses.

I supplement these with various old (mostly cheap) primes. Good fast primes can be found cheap at 28-35-50-58-100-135-200mm, and not-so-cheap at other focal lengths.

I have a zillion lenses, mostly old MF primes, with about a dozen each MF and AF zooms. Decent as your Tokina is, I don't recommend MF zooms. They don't work well with SR.

Should you buy more lenses? OF COURSE!! Tell us how much money you have, and we'll tell you how to spend it, no problem. All you need are the DA16-45 and Bigma 50-500.
04-14-2012, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kcisonfire Quote
From my understanding, using a manual lens (unless it is an A lens) means you cannot control the aperature? The K-x only displays 'F- - ' even in manual. I only have control of the shutter speed and ISO, therefore restricting me on DOF?
You can change the aperture, it's just that the camera doesn't know what it's set to. See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm not flush at the moment and it took a lot of deliberation to buy the 40mm XS lens, so I don't think I'll be buying any lenses in a while. I guess I'll just have to live with these three lenses for a while.
But I think the 40mm XS will give you a lot to work with for now, and using it will also help you to decide where you're going in the future.
04-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My question is do you think between the DA 40mm and Tokina MF zoom lens, I will be ok to cover most situations?
I would shout it from the rooftop: yes, yes, yes

It depends on your needs / shooting style but let me be the odd one here who usually leaves the house with only FA31Ltd (OK,not quite 35mm) and DFA100WR if I want / need AF and who does not miss either the wide end nor the long end. I do sometimes wish that I had a 70 in between (but you have that covered with the zoom).

Of course there are situations where one needs wider or longer but I'm aware of the limitations that I impose on myself (or that the lens selection imposes on me) and have no problem what-so-ever with that.

If I know in advance that I'm going for architecture (e.g. holiday in one of the European cities), I will take something wider with. If I know in advance that I'm going to do sports or wildlife, I will take something longer with. But those are, for me, not in the category 'most situations' but in the category 'special situations'.

In your situation, just work with the setup that you have (40mm + zoom) and you will encounter the limitations. It might be that you always feel that you want wider or that the 40mm is a bit too long for indoors (where you might want the f/2.8) and the 35mm of the zoom would be better suited (but it does not have the f/2.8).

A lens without A-position can be used to its fullest; see the article thhat Adam referred to. Use M-mode, set the aperture on the lens and the green button to let the camera calculate the exposure.

PS 1
Nice flowerhead

PS 2
Consider buying a flash if you're often in situations where there isn't enough light.
04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

All I can say is, post some side by side apples-to-apples comparison, and I suspect that you won't get better than 50/50 if you ask people to tell them apart.