Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Spotmatic Rewind-trigger stuck

Hi!

I snatched a Pentax Spotmatic second hand a few month back. I've shot one full roll before this problem occuring on the second one I've loaded. It all started with the mirror geting stuck in the top while taking a shot. After looking around I found the solution wich was open the bottom and pushing back i little black spring. The mirror got back in right position but the rewind is now stuck. When the first problem occured I think I desperately pressed buttons and also pressed the little rewindbutton in the bottom. Anyway I can't advance the film now. The mechanics are stuck. Is that because I pressed the rewindbutton down? Theres some decent pictures on the roll and a third left on it. Any suggestions on what to do?

04-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Open the camera and try to pull the film out. Do this in a bag to shield it from light or in a pitch black room. If I recall correctly, there are special bags for this. Be careful if you use a plastic bag as it might cause sparks due to static electricity and they will be visible on the film.
04-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the only thing I know of, remove the film in a pitch black environment. when the film advance gets stuck you can't do much else until you can get the camera to a shop to be fixed. I have a couple of older 35mm cameras with stuck advance levers, one is my old favorite KX. I had to do exactly that, turn off all the lights and remove the film closed up in a closet. Fun...

But make sure it's absolutely pitch black dark. Any slight light, even through a small crack in a closet door, can ruin the pictures.

And yes they made bags for that, I can't remember what they were called or who made them. They were originally for loading film in the camera while outside to avoid exposing it.
04-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
That's the only thing I know of, remove the film in a pitch black environment. when the film advance gets stuck you can't do much else until you can get the camera to a shop to be fixed. I have a couple of older 35mm cameras with stuck advance levers, one is my old favorite KX. I had to do exactly that, turn off all the lights and remove the film closed up in a closet. Fun...

But make sure it's absolutely pitch black dark. Any slight light, even through a small crack in a closet door, can ruin the pictures.

And yes they made bags for that, I can't remember what they were called or who made them. They were originally for loading film in the camera while outside to avoid exposing it.

Uummm?!?

I've been developing film since 1979; stainless and plastic reels - but really prefer to get the negatives into tubes as quickly as possible.

Outside of a real darkroom (or one converted into one); and also outside of a light-tight chaging bag... I unfortunately would never try to get the film from the camera. Remember all it takes is the most trivial amount of light and also just a fraction of a second.

If by chance you may not have the facilities to do it yourself - most quality camera shops will do it for you - or one could try to make a call on a local school

04-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/markroberts/nat_cam_spii.pdf

I recall reading about a fairly common jam that occurs when the shutter release and the film advance get ahead of eachother and both end up waiting for the other to do their job, something to do with a lever that you can see if you take the bottom off, may have been for the K1000, but probably a similar concept, basically the part in the shutter button that was supposed to let the film advance lever go isn't doing its job, you could probably fix it yourself.

EDIT: actually you may be able to fix it with film in the camera as I think that's all enclosed separately from the gears and levers.