Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What is on this lens?

Hey guys...

I'm not sure what this is... any ideas? This is sitting on a 50mm Tak... and can only be seen at a very acute angle...

Ideas?

04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like "the fungus." I'm afraid i've got it on a lens too. I'm unsure if it came with it, or if it grew since i've gotten it. I'm really, really hoping I just didn't notice it when I got he lens. Otherwise my "collection" is in trouble... :/
04-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not an expert here and I'm hoping a few would weigh in, but since it doesn't look like scratches, I'm guessing its fungus. If so, you can find a lot of help in various threads as members have cleaned lenses, although with some risk to the coatings. How was the lens stored, or if you bought it second hand, where was the seller based?
04-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fungus for sure. Had something like that on a 6x7 lens recently. It's getting cleaned up by Eric now.

04-16-2012, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sure looks like fungus to me too.

If you are lucky and it is ONLY on the rear element, it is an easy fix. Rotate the focus ring until the rear element protrudes as far as possible out the rear of the lens. The rear element assembly simply unscrews (counter-clockwise) by grabbing the black ring surrounding it. You should then be able to clean the fungus.

Here is a recommendation that suggests using hydrogen peroxide and ammonia as a removal/cleaning agent: Ron Herron's "Mamiya 35mm Cameras" Fungus How-To

I would probably use some windex and hydrogen peroxide, and do a final wash with isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), with a blow-dry to remove residual fluids, and a final wipe of the lens surfaces with a very soft, clean, lint-free lens cloth.

I've cleaned the rear element of my 50mm f1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar this way, but did not have a fungus problem, only some dirt and smudges.

When you get it fixed, post another picture so we can see the result.

-Joe-
04-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's fungus. The first thin to do is to keep this lens away from your other lenses. Fungus spores can travel from one lens to another.
04-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also get a shop to clean your lens I guess, if you don't want to poke around yourself.

04-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
It's fungus. The first thin to do is to keep this lens away from your other lenses. Fungus spores can travel from one lens to another.
It's a bit of a wives tale, Fungus spores are in the air everywhere, Isolating it may make absolutely no difference as long as you aren't storing them together in a humidified cabinet. Warm humid environments are more an issue, and if you live in one you need a storage area that is dehumidified and you should keep Silica packs in your bag, and not leave everything stored in the bag. Fortunately the environment here isn't prone to promoting fungal growth most of the year, but if I get caught shooting in the rain i make sure everything id dried properly and I add a big bowl of rice to my storage area for a few days to absorb any excess moisture
04-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
...If I might tactfully ask... How long was the lens stored before this was noticed? Also perhaps more importantly; where was it stored?

Not to alarm everyone, but mold can indeed travel through ones entire dwelling - of course naturally noting that almost everyone here lives in a 3k sq.ft. structure of sorts (not quite). This especially happens with forced air systems. One of the main causes is lack of proper humiidity removal.

In the ideal world - this is why i suggest not storing any photography gear in a basement or attack; and preferably as far from possible away from bathrooms, kitchen areas, and especially any aquarium.

What's next?? Noting the above mentioned cleaning procedures.... If this lens was stored in a gadget bag I would strongly suggest checking all of the other equipment in the bag. Also if this was the case (storage in a bag); you may want to try to load up the bag with both baking powder and also silica.(making sure to keep both the baking powder and silica seperate yet still in containers). Also, if one does not have any concerns with bleach; try storing the bag for a few days in a type of container with a seperate secondary container of bleach - very carefully opened as to not to get onto the empty bag.

A few other items which should in fact help out...

A somewhat free one. Simply open up ones residence at least once a month and air it out for a bit - even in Michigan.

Ideas that cost a bit more... Mold likes moisture, areas of high humidity, and stagnent air. Mold doesn't flourish well in an area with above average air circulation. So bathroom fans, and kitchen fans help out considerably - as do whole house attic fans and even entry level dehumidifiers.

... And around these parts... There is a place for long term archival storage of all sorts of items - it's called Iron Mountain. Before it existed though Hollywood lost about twenty percent of it's film content to mold
04-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It's a bit of a wives tale, Fungus spores are in the air everywhere, Isolating it may make absolutely no difference as long as you aren't storing them together in a humidified cabinet.
Totally agree with this. These spores are everywhere. They're around even if you've never seen a speck of them on any of your lenses. Not giving them a hospitable environment is the only real prevention.