Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

less than pristine lens

hey guys, i was wondering how i should go about this. i bought a lens for about 1050 and it was advertised as pristine. upon arival the rear element has a scratch and the front elements (first two) has oil? or something. i took a shot of the sky and some abberations are there. here are the pictures

oil | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
abberations. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
scratch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

its a sigma 70-200mm f2.8. how much would it cost to repair the rear element and clean up the front two? is it worth the cost to fix?

04-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
sorry i mean 925 as it was a package deal.
04-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
The oil looks like water infiltrated and carried lubricants into the lens.

The aberrations look like dust in the sensor.

The scratch should not effect the images taken, but hardly "pristine".

Could you return it?
04-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
not sure yet, messaging but have not heard back, just checked sensor and it looks clean. going to try another shot of the sky with a different lens, one that i know is clean and another that was used to see how they match up.

04-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
MJL
Site Supporter

I agree the "aberrations" are mostly likely dust on sensor. All aberrations that I have encountered are not black nor round. Check the return policy and send it back ASAP if you are not happy. I believe you are in Vancouver, call up Camtex and ask them for a quote on the service you want. They usually cost upward of couple hundred bucks for big zoom like 70-200/2.8. Good luck.
04-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The black spots are dust on your sensor. You will NEVER see dust on a lens showing up in a photo unless you are actually focusing on dust on a lens. The scratch on the back is no biggie, the spots on the front glass probably won't cause any issues, but both detract from the described condition. If it's a rare lens and you want it, get an estimate of what cleaning will cost and try to come to an agreement with the vendor.
04-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
just checked and yeah it was sensor dust, scared me for a bit there one down two to go. whos better? camtex or vancam?
04-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sent it back if you can... I paid only $1150 brand new?

04-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
its the older version with the aperature ring, which i want for my pentax mx as well, apparently they are pretty rare, but for 925..... torn between keeping it and just taking it as a loss because its such a cool lens or returning it or at least get a partial refund for some of it. we will see, when i get a pm
04-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
so i got some pms back, apparently he does not believe that the lens is not as advertised, even with the photographs. he did offer a 100 dollar refund or a complete refund (did not mention if he was going to pay or not, and said he did say no refunds) i asked for a 300 dollar refund seeing as on the reviews people have been paying around 700, and 400 dollars for the same lens. that would put my lens at 625 dollars. what do you guys think?
04-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
one of the reasons why i bought the lens as well was because of his high seller rating, flawless...
04-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
MJL
Site Supporter

100% Feedback on eBay doesn't mean much, as one of the "flawless" seller send me damaged lenses. The devil is in the descriptions they put up. Did the seller declare the entire package is in "pristine" condition, or just certain part in it? It was a package deal which burn me big time. Since it is pretty hard to assemble a legacy package, I end up paying Camtex to fix the problems instead of sending it back to UK (>$100 shipping) for an exchange or refund. Therefore, I can see the reason you want to keep the lens for MX, which I think is the best manual 35mm film Pentax camera. The guys at Camtex used to work for Pentax, and I use them for my medium format gears as well. Vancam was good, but I haven't use them since they changed management. Last time I visited them, they even sell electric shavers, which tell me how is their business going lately.

Last edited by MJL; 04-17-2012 at 10:15 AM.
04-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
well ended up getting only 100 dollars back as he wanted me to ship it back to him for HIM to inspect. as i gifted the money i was not about to send the lens back without getting a refund and stuff. it wasnt ebay it was on the fourm but i guess ill leave some feedback. he claims that it was a flawless lens even wide open at 2.8 but his pictures are out of focus and not in any bright light. looks like i have to take it as a loss and move on.
04-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
MJL
Site Supporter

IMHO that $100 is an admittance of guilt. On the other hand, I am sure you will enjoy the fabulous 70-200/2.8 which is something really missed in Pentax current offering. I compared, thought long & hard before I went with Sigma instead of the DA* 50-135/2.8 (too short) or 60-250/4 (too slow).