Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lady in need of help

Good afternoon everyone.

I am new to this site and want to say a grand hello to everyone. I am looking for someone who can point this non-blond lady in the right direction. I own a Pentax K10D and just loooooooooooove it. I would like to start shooting with remote assist as I am going to be doing some studio work and remote assist will help me. I downloaded the upgrade firmware as directed, I loaded it onto my card and up graded my camera, but when I plug in my usb cable to the camera and the computer and switch on my camera it only shows pc in the bottom right hand corner and no other actions can be taken. I opeen up the pentax remote assist icon on my desk top but that is the end of my excitment. What am I doing wrong? what haven't I done that I should have done to make my pride and joy work for me??? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mary C.

04-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome non-blond Mary. I'm moving this to the troubleshooting forum, as I think you'll likely get quicker help there.
04-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many Thanks Parallax, I am beginning to think the grey hairs are blond in hiding, I should have thought about the troubleshooting departement!!! but my frustration levels are so high I am not thinking straight. Lets hope someone can come up with the answer before the shoot tomorrow.
04-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You upgraded the official firmware or installed PKtether?

04-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you are referring to Pentax Remote Assistant 3 and or its updates (CD given with the K10D) it will not run on windows 7 and that's what I think may be the problem. If your running Vista or XP you should have little problems.
04-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #6

I run windows 7 and also run remote assitant 3, I have 2 K10d's and it will work with either one. I had some problems when I first tried it but after fiddeling with it, it started working. I am not a computer expert, so I can not tell you why it started working, it just did.
04-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi everyone thanks for input. I do not have the cd that was with the camera when new. It has gone awol!!! I am running VISTA and am at a total loss. I downloaded the official firmware from the Pentax site. When I downloaded the update 1.31 from Pentax, I followed the 'readme' instructions to the letter. I have the Pentax remote assist icon on the desk top which opens up.. I have the firmware icon that I put onto my card, then into the camera and did what I was told, but still nothing. When I plug in the UBS cable and switch the camera on that is where it ends... nothing nadda.. zilch... just the little pc in bottom rt cnr. hmmmm can it really be this difficult?? Looks like my shoot today will be done the old fashioned way..grrrrr.

04-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
LOL, I keep switching on the camera and praying but prayers not answered... I am sure it is going to be a simple as one button on the camera that needs to be 'flicked'.
04-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Right click on the icon and open Pentax remote assist as administrator and see if that does the trick
04-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had this running once... never had a reason to use it however so can't really help other than....

please confirm that the firmware was applied to the camera... your posts are a little confusing.
04-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mary C Quote
Hi everyone thanks for input. I do not have the cd that was with the camera when new. It has gone awol!!! I am running VISTA and am at a total loss. I downloaded the official firmware from the Pentax site. When I downloaded the update 1.31 from Pentax, I followed the 'readme' instructions to the letter. I have the Pentax remote assist icon on the desk top which opens up.. I have the firmware icon that I put onto my card, then into the camera and did what I was told, but still nothing. When I plug in the UBS cable and switch the camera on that is where it ends... nothing nadda.. zilch... just the little pc in bottom rt cnr. hmmmm can it really be this difficult?? Looks like my shoot today will be done the old fashioned way..grrrrr.

Are you sure that the firmware upgrade "took"? Turn the camera off. Hold down the menu button and turn it back on. It will display the installed firmware level for a few seconds. Make sure it is 1.31.

If it is NOT 1.31, then you need to troubleshoot the upgrade process. If it IS 1.31, then you need to troubleshoot your PC.
04-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When you attach a USB device like the camera to your computer, windows should prompt you to install a driver for the device (either automatically - it searches the computer or web, or manually - you provide the driver). The driver would have been with your Pentax installation CD. If you are not getting the prompt then the driver should already be installed. Maybe check the pentax website for drivers and install them again anyway. (seeing only PC on your camera is normal.) Make sure remote assistant 3 works with vista - it should.

good luck!
04-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
If your running Vista or XP you should have little problems

Except that... If this person has not done this by now... That Microsoft Vista now requires a type of subscription to do non critical updates - oops. As for XP it depends, but very well may be the same issue