Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What kind of mount is this?

Hi Folks,
I would really appreciate your help in identifying the mount.
Thank you in advance!

Attached Images

04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is there any labeling on the lens at all? Hard to say without a better/closer pic, and even a side shot of the lens
04-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like plain k-mount without an aperture lever, probably a T-mount lens with a k adapter.
04-18-2012, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

It is NOT a PK mount of any kind. Even T-mount-PK adapters follow PK architecture. PK mounts have one bayonet blade substantially shorter than the other two, and with a lens-lock slot near the middle of the short blade. Exception: Some macro-tube mounts, and wide-flange no-infinity-focus M42-PK adapters, have blades of equal length; but they still have a hole or slot for the lens-lock pin to engage.

It looks more like an Exakta mount. One way to tell: measure it. The inner diameter of a PK mount is about 41mm. The I.D. of an Exakta mount is about 34mm. (I just now measured these.) Exakta-mount lenses can be quite easily (and non-destructively) adapted to PK mount. If you wish, I'll tell you how. If you don't want to bother, I may be interested in the lens. How is the lens labeled?

Last edited by RioRico; 04-24-2012 at 07:42 PM.
04-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It is NOT at PK mount of any kind. Even T-mount-PK adapters follow PK architecture. PK mounts have one bayonet blade substantially shorter than the other two, and with a lens-lock slot near the middle of the short blade. Exception: Some macro-tube mounts, and wide-flange no-infinity-focus M42-PK adapters, have blades of equal length; but they still have a hole or slot for the lens-lock pin to engage.

It looks more like an Exakta mount. One way to tell: measure it. The inner diameter of a PK mount is about 41mm. The I.D. of an Exakta mount is about 34mm. (I just now measured these.) Exakta-mount lenses can be quite easily (and non-destructively) adapted to PK mount. If you wish, I'll tell you how. If you don't want to bother, I may be interested in the lens. How is the lens labeled?
+1 on what Rico says.
04-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Big thanks to everybody for your help!

RioRico, thanks a lot!
The lens costs 3 Bucks (delivery - $11), it is 135mm 1:2.8...it looks like it is 8 or 9 aperture bladed one, so I assume it should give pretty nice bokeh.
If I buy it, I will kindly ask for your instructions.
Thanks again
Vasyl
04-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Once I bought a Vivitar 135/2.8 based on a crappy cell phone picture. In the pic it looked like P/K, it ended up being a Konica mount.

04-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rico is right. It is Exakta.
Here is what my Zeiss 50 3.5 for Exa looks like:

04-19-2012, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

A PM asked for instructions on adapting Exakta-mount lenses to PK. I wrote those up a couple days (and many posts) ago, but it's easier and faster and more fun to rewrite them than to search. Here goes:

I've done this adaptation with Exakta-mount lenses lacking the stop-down button. The button is an extra complexity that I won't deal with here.

Problem: Exakta register is about 0.8mm shorter than PK register. No infinity focus.
Solution: Thin an M42-PK adapter by about 0.7mm -- that's close enough for infinity.

Necessities: Cheap M39-M42 adapter ring; cheap clone M42-PK adapter; 100-grit sandpaper; a flat hard tile; contact cement; a block of soft wood or rubber; jeweler's screwdriver.

Lens preparation: With the screwdriver, remove and save the index screw from the lens base. Glue the M39-M42 ring around the lens bayonets. Let it dry thoroughly, several hours at least.

Work preparation: Tape the sandpaper to the tile. Keep the block of wood or rubber handy.

Adapter work: Put the M42-PK adapter on the sandpaper with the thin flange side down. Use the block of wood or rubber as a grip so you don't remove your fingertips. Grind the adapter against the sandpaper, swirling around etc. Every now and then, check it on the lens and camera to see if you can focus to infinity.

Warning: DON'T GRIND AWAY TOO MUCH! The M42-PK adapter needs at least a thin flange in order to seat on the camera mount.

This trick mods the adapter, not the lens. The lens can be restored for Exakta use by dissolving the glue and replacing the screw. One ground-down adapter can be used on several prepared lenses. That's how I mount my Meyer Primagon 35/4.5, Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5, CZJ Tessar 50/2.8, and Isco Westar 100/4.5.

Some lenses have a molded pin rather than a removable screw. For such, I don't glue on the M39-M42 ring first. Rather, I grind away the M42-PK adapter to fit, then use an Exakto saw or Dremel blade to cut a small notch in a thin part of the ring. With the M39-M42 ring screwed in, the whole slips easily over the lens bayonets, and can then be glued into place. This is how I mount my Kilfitt Makro Kilar E 40/3.5 (reportedly the first SLR macro lens).

The whole process is non-destructive and reversible. I don't recommend it for long|heavy lenses.

Yeah, one of these days I really should write that illustrated article on modding Nikon, OM, C/Y, Petri and Exakta lenses to PK. Maybe in a few weeks...

Last edited by RioRico; 06-02-2012 at 10:15 AM.
04-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much, RioRico! Will try to do that!
The lens is branded as Focal 135 mm F1/2.8.
Will post when I am done.

What I am thinking now is how to convert Yashinon 45 1/1.7 to either K-mount or M42, but probably it is impossible...
04-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
The lens is branded as Focal 135 mm F1/2.8.
Focal!?!?! I wonder if Ricoh made it?

QuoteQuote:
What I am thinking now is how to convert Yashinon 45 1/1.7 to either K-mount or M42, but probably it is impossible...
If the Yashinon is a C/Y mount, it is VERY simple to mod for PK. I do such mods now in about 5 minutes, including setup and cleanup time. Put a plank over the bathroom sink; plug in the Dremel; taper the bayonet blades so they fit under the K-mount lugs; cut a small slot for the PK lens-lock pin to engage; blow away the metallic dust. Voila!
04-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pictures....?
04-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Pictures....?
My images terabyte drive and most of my modded lenses are 1000mi / 1600km away at the moment. I'll hopefully return to my home base in a few weeks. Pictures will just have to wait, sorry.
04-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If the Yashinon is a C/Y mount, it is VERY simple to mod for PK.

I am thinking about the other Yashinon Color 45mm 1/1.7 from yashica Electro G 35. Its flange distance is 29mm.
See some link on conversion of such lens to mirrorless.
COLOR - Yashinon DX 45mm F1.7 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
04-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Rico is right. It is Exakta.
Here is what my Zeiss 50 3.5 for Exa looks like:

Trying to pose a tactful question... Would it be worth it to try to rehab the back of that particular lens that is shown? I would almost be sweating about chips from the back of the lens metal coating from going into the back of the lens - or worse - into the body of the camera.

Interestingly enough one of my best pics ever was taken with a lens I found in a flood zone; once nar completely destroyed - and then rehabbed over time